The history behind the Law Firm of William Nyirenda & Co. dates back to 1st August 1979; which marked the establishment of Ezugha Musonda & Company, the cumulation of a merger of two legal firms- S.S. Ezugha & Co. and Raphael Musonda & Co.
Mr William B Nyirenda joined the firm in 1981, and by 1985 had become a Partner. Following the retirement of Mr Ezugha and Mr Musonda, the firm was passed down to Mr William B. Nyirenda SC, who continued to trade under the name Ezugha Musonda & Co. until when the firm underwent structural overhaul and rebranded itself under the name William Nyirenda & Co in 2002.
CURRENT STATE OF THE FIRM
The locality of the firm in Kitwe, the hub of the Copperbelt Province means that it is best suited to serve the legal needs of the region whose industrial and economical significance to the country is incontestable.
Lately, the growth of the firm which has been ongoing over the years has been deliberately accelerated in order to better services its clients. We pride ourselves in providing services to clients far beyond the boundaries of the Copperbelt and the Republic of Zambia. We have aligned our practice with firms within the United Kingdom, Europe, the United States, and South Africa enabling us to offer an integrated service to our clients. Existing associations with other reputable firms within the country are also being reinforced for the maintenance of efficiency and better service delivery to our esteemed clientele.
· We are committed to the provision of the most excellent, qualitative, efficient and cost-effective service to our clients.
· We are committed to equal and acquit ourselves well to the tasks and challenges that the present globalization of the legal process may present.
· In equalling to these tasks we have committed ourselves to espouse and observing the virtues of professionalism and integrity; too high levels of ethics and etiquette in the provision of legal services.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE FIRM
The Philosophy of the firm is circumscribed by the standard principles of the legal profession as stipulated in the Solicitors Practice Rules, 1990 read together with the Legal Practitioners Act and the Law Association of Zambia Act.
Thus, we exist to represent our clients, to advise them, and to be their Advocates.
In all our professional assignment and functions, we pursue competence, promptitude diligence and a high level of proficiency.
In litigation, our advocates measure to the dictates of the adversarial system within which we operate and assert the position of our clients zealously.
The firm upholds loyalty to the client, to which effect it is its policy to avoid possible conflict of interest. Where a conflict of interest is apparent, the client is informed and representation declined when necessary.
Use of our client’s name in a promotion or for purposes of marketing is never done without express authority from the client. Where authority is granted, caution is exercised lest such client’s interest is prejudiced.
The rule of confidentiality is at the CORE of the Solicitor/Client relationship.
RANGE OF SERVICES
Invariably we handle matters referred to us in a way that ensures that our clients 'access to us is maximised. We respond to their needs in an expeditious and professional manner.
While our practice is diverse; most of our services are concentrated in the following areas, that is:
· Company Law and Practice
· Mergers and Acquisitions
· Investment and Finance Law including Project Finance
· Banking Law and Practice including securitisations
· Commercial Transactions
· Property Law and Conveyancing
· Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution
· Industrial Relations and Employment Law
· Native & Customary Law
· Intellectual Property Law
· Arbitration and Mediation
· Local Government Practice
· Probate and Succession
· Mining and Natural Resources Law
· Insolvency and Restructuring
Legal Practitioners & Notaries Public
Unit Nos. 4 - 6 Office Park 793
P.O. Box 22144 & 22841
KitweShow more +
I have been in the practice of the Law from 1981 to date with the firm Ezugha, Musonda & Company. I was invited into partnership in 1985 and in 1990 I became the principal in the firm.
The firm changed its name to William Nyirenda & Company in 2002. I have had the privilege of practising law at a very high level.
My work experience has included work in:
- Bank and Finance Banking and Finance including Securitizations
- Mortgages and Debentures
- Leasing Finance
- Project Finance
- Commercial Law and Commercial Transactions including Cross Border
- Company Law and Practice - including Company Formations, Company Secretarial Work
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Property Law and Practice - including Conveyancing, Property Transfer, Leases with an extensive study of Statutory and Customary Land Tenure Systems.
- Industrial Law and Labour Relations - including Employment Contracts, Industrial Litigation
- Litigation - The art of advocacy - including both Civil matter and Criminal Litigation
- Intellectual Property Law and Practice and Insurance Claims
- Building/Engineering Contracts including those Energy and Mining Related
- Environmental Law
The firm has done over the years and continues to service major mining companies, major companies both local and international, financial institutions, tertiary institutions, individuals, major trade unions and small scale industries
If you wish to find out more, please email William at [email protected]
Show more +
Commercial Law in Zambia
Unit Nos. 4 - 6 Office Park 793, Lyness House, Freedom Avenue, Kitwe, P.O. Box 22144 & 22841