NLRB Raises the Bar on Clarity of Employee Arbitration Agreements
Published 11 Jul, 2019
Please sign in to view members only features
• Litigation and Commercial Transactions
• Administrative proceedings
• Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
• 2000: U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
• 1987: U.S. Supreme Court
• 1984: U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
• 1982: U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
• 1980: U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
• 1979: U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
• 1976: U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
• 1974: U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
• 1974: District of Columbia
Lectures and Presentations
• Present: George Washington University Law School, Professor of Law, Adjunct Faculty
o Law 6599, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility Seminar
o Law 6218, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility
• July 2011: “All You Ever Wanted to Know About Intellectual Property Law and Were Afraid to Ask” Paper and Presentation to Mississippi Bar Annual Convention, July 12, 2011.
• 1970: The George Washington University, Elliot School of International Affairs, BA, International Affairs
• 1973: The George Washington University Law School, J.D.
Mr. Shawn has tried over 100 bench and jury trials and arbitrations involving partnership, legal ethics, intellectual property, antitrust, banking, regulatory, environmental, Constitutional, international, securities, and tax issues in Federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the United States. Such matters have included landing a $124,000,000-Texas court judgment for a Swiss company, the successful defense of a $7,500,000,000 copyright infringement action for a Canadian company, and a dispositive Constitutional challenge, for foreign corporate taxpayers, to New York’s corporate franchise tax . He has also litigated hundreds of procedural and dispositive motions throughout the American courts, argued approximately 25 appeals before Federal and state appellate courts, and testified abroad on American legal systems’ practice and procedure. Mr. Shawn also represents and counsels clients in national and international mergers and acquisitions, licensing, franchising, LBO’s, joint ventures, financings, and similar commercial transactions. He is also co-inventor of Method and Apparatus for Securing The Privacy of a Computer Network, Application No. 10/767,815.
2013-present: General Counsel and Director, Veterans’ Real Estate Corporation
2012-present: Owner, Aston Martin Washington DC and Bentley Tysons
• 2004 – present: NetFax Development, Managing Member
• 2000 – present: George Washington University Law School Board of Advisors, Member
• 2000 – present:George Washington University Law School, Distinguished Alumnus
• 2000-present: White House Alumni Association
United States contributor, World Bank and International Finance Corporation, Doing Business 2014: Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
• “Guidance for In-House Legal Departments on the “Reasonable Fee” and Ethical Legal Spend Control Strategies”, Symposiarch
• The George Washington University Law School Inaugural Symposium on Legal Fees in Complex Litigation and Transactions, October 13, 2011.
• “The US Credit Crisis Will Affect Personal and Corporate Liability for years to Come” The In-House Lawyer, November 2008.
• “Reduced US Government Interference in Accused Executives’ Defense Arrangements” The In-House Lawyer, October 2008.
ShawnCoulson International Lawyers began over 25 years ago.Whether a client is a global business with complex needs or domestic company seeking cost-efficient and sophisticated legal services, ShawnCoulson International Lawyers has the knowledge and experience to help navigate an increasingly complex legal environment.
ShawnCoulson advises and works with commercial and private clients across Europe, North America, Asia and worldwide. With offices in Washington D.C., London, and Brussels, it fields a dedicated group of attorneys, solicitors and barristers committed to strengthening its client-lawyer relationship wherever possible.
Published 11 Jul, 2019
Published 10 Jul, 2019
Published 09 Jul, 2019
Published 08 Jul, 2019
Published 27 Jun, 2019