Energy Law in Nigeria
71 Ademola Street, South-West Ikoyi, Lagos
Alliance Law Firm is a dynamic full-service law partnership registered under the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in 2002 by Uche Val Obi, SAN and Olusoji Toki, Esq. ALF is well resourced with an eminently qualified, competent and highly motivated team of specialist practitioners assembled to service the specific requirements of our practice areas. Presently, it consists of six (6) partners, working out of the Firm’s offices in Lagos, Abuja and Port-Harcourt.
The core areas of our practice include corporate and commercial transaction practice in energy, capital market, finance, regulatory compliance advisory, project development advisory, Intellectual Property, Media, Entertainment and Technology, dispute prevention/resolution, and legal consulting and strategic business advisory and support services.
Our client service delivery approach is robust, efficient, professional and tailored to meet the dynamism and complexities of commercial relations. Our legal team consist of, six recognised partners, consultants and Associates. Our ability to provide quality and commercially usable legal services to our clients' often complex business transactions positions ALF as one of Nigeria's elite law firms in Nigeria and globally. We take pride in providing our clients with impeccable and professional services drawn from decades of experience.
Our unwavering commitment to qualitative legal service is a propelling factor in our affiliation with professional bodies and associations in order to draw strength, as well as to regularly improve on our knowledge of the law and the industry in which we operate. Accordingly, our lawyers maintain membership or accreditation of national and internationally recognised professional bodies.
Since inception in 2002 till date, the Firm has grown from staff strength of three lawyers to 30 lawyers.Show more +
Uche is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (an equivalent of Queens Counsel in the UK) and the Managing Partner of Alliance Law Firm. He heads the firm’s transaction, commercial and dispute resolution practice. His skill and insight to simplify and proffer solutions to complex issues have been highly commended by the clients of the firm and peers. He is ranked as a top and leading lawyer in Chambers 500 and International Financial Law Ranking (IFLR) and has received a number of local and international awards. He is a notable contributor to the IMF/World Bank Doing Business Guide publications and the author of “Class Actions in Nigeria” – a pioneering book on the subject in Nigeria.
He has advised on a wide range of matters in oil & gas, power, capital markets, power, banking and finance, corporate restructuring including mergers and acquisitions, infrastructure, project finance, and regulatory advisory services. He also advises companies operating in the Nigeria oil and gas industry on compliance and restructuring issues arising from the Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry Content Development Act 2010.
Uche was at different times in his professional legal career Chairman of the Capital Market Solicitors Association (“CMSA”), a member of the ministerial committee that recommended the recently implemented 26 billion (US$170 million USD) forbearance of debts granted to stockbrokers by the Federal Government of Nigeria as announced by the Minister of Finance/CME. He is also a member of the Capital Market Master Plan Committee set up by the Securities and Exchange Commission and has served as a council member of the Nigeria Bar Association – Section on Business Law, and a member of the National Technical Committee for the Implementation of E-Dividend in Nigeria. He is currently the CMSA coordinator of the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office Emerging Capital Market Project comprising Lawyers of the UK Law Society of England and Wales and Nigerian Lawyers. He is also the current Chairman, International Trade Law Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association Section on Business Law.
He has been listed amongst the topmost integrity-driven professionals in Nigeria by the major newspapers including The Guardian and Thisday, and has contributed over 40 published articles in the areas of the capital market, business and investment laws in the Business Day Law Specialist Section. Uche has also co-facilitated several seminars. He is ranked as a Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer by the IFLR 1000 in Corporate, Financial and Energy Practice Areas. Uche delivered a 60-page paper titled “Enhancing Justice Delivery through Class Actions” at the 2018 Annual Conference for Judges of the Federal High Court in Abuja in 2018.
To the extent that they may be disclosed, some of the assignments in respect of which he has been involved include the following:
- Advised Nestoil Plc in connection with the US$1 billion Nembe Creek-Cawthorne Channel 24/30 Trunk Line replacement project awarded by Shell Petroleum Development Company.
- Advised Neconde Energy Limited on its acquisition of 45% participatory interest in OML
- Advised Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc on its global IPO to raise and dual listing of its shares in London and Nigerian Stock Exchange
- Advised Neconde Energy Limited on its $470 million asset-based lending its upsize to $720 million and restructuring into a corporate loan of $640 million
- Lead counsel in a $350 million ICC Arbitration claim involving 3 IOCs and local E & P company in London under the ICC Rules
- Co-counsel in a maritime/oil and gas claim in London under LCIArb for claims of $14million
- Lead counsel in a labour claim involving 74 ex-staff of an IOC and two ex-petroleum operators in a claim of about $250million in the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.
- Lead counsel in an intellectual property defence of a downstream operator and other multinationals in a Federal High Court, Abuja involving a claim of over $3billion
- Advising an energy conglomerate in a corporate restructuring involving 16 related entities with a combined asset of over $3billion
- Advised on real estate development project involving an acquisition of land and development of the best certified green building in Nigeria valued at $400million
- Advised on acquisition and development of 51.7 hectares of industrial land and development of an industrial yard for Nestoil at Abuloma, Port Harcourt valued at $500million
- Advised on the divestment, spinoff and acquisition of seven subsidiaries of Nigerian banks.
- Lead Counsel to the Securities and Exchange Commission on litigation related to the removal of President of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
Imo State University (LL.B Hons)
Nigerian Law School (BL)
Abubakar Tafawa University (MBA)
University of Lagos (LL.M)
Harvard Executive Business School
- Chairman, International Trade Law Committee, NBA Section on Business Law
- Former Chairman, Capital Market Solicitors Association.
- Member, Editorial Board of Capital Market Solicitors Association Quarterly News Review
- Member, National Technical Committee on the Implementation of E-Dividend in Nigeria
- Member, Committee for the Revision of the Rules of the Administrative Proceedings Committee of the Securities & Exchange
- Commission of Nigeria
- Member, Capital Market Master Plan Committee
- Nigerian Coordinator of the United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office Emerging Capital Market Project comprising UK Lawyers of the Law Society of England and Wales and Nigerian Lawyers.
Member, Committee on Arbitration, International Law AssociationShow more +