Foreign Direct Investment in Washington DC
1320 19th Street NW, Suite 601, Washington, D.C., 20036
ShawnCoulson International Lawyers began over 25 years ago.Whether a client is a global business with complex needs or domestic company seeking cost-efficient and sophisticated legal services, ShawnCoulson International Lawyers has the knowledge and experience to help navigate an increasingly complex legal environment.
ShawnCoulson advises and works with commercial and private clients across Europe, North America, Asia and worldwide. With offices in Washington D.C., London, and Brussels, it fields a dedicated group of attorneys, solicitors and barristers committed to strengthening its client-lawyer relationship wherever possible.Show more +
Steve’s practice focuses on complex high stakes litigation and appellate work. He represents clients in both federal and state courts on a broad range of matters with emphasis on private commercial litigation, employment law, securities law, and business combination break-ups. Steve has been practicing for 35 years and is recognized as preeminent among his peers by Martindale-Hubbell. He is an accomplished litigator with vast experience. Steve was formerly a partner with Wilkie, Farr & Gallagher and Steptoe & Johnson before starting his own firm in 2010.
Examples of recent cases included:
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, defamation action, (prevailed on behalf of defendant).
- Superior Court of California, action between LLC members, (favorable settlement for client)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, employment action (favorable settlement for client)
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, insurance coverage case (prevailed on behalf of insured)
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, federal cable interception statutes (favorable settlement for client)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, employment litigation (favorable settlement for plaintiff)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, jury trial regarding fraudulent real estate transaction (plaintiff)
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, jury trial regarding a breach of contract, fraud involving developer (defendant)
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, jury trial regarding fraudulent credentialed health care provider (plaintiff)
- Superior Court District of Columbia, jury trial involving personal injury and trust matters (plaintiff)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals (several cases)
- US Court of Appeals in Eleventh Circuit, case regarding attorneys' fees (appellant)
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia appeal, DC Consumer Protection Procedures Act (appellant)
Steve also has represented broker dealers and financial advisors in FINRA arbitrations, NYSE and FINRA investigations, and counseled Fortune 50 companies on matters of environmental compliance, including Superfund, RCRA, CWA and state analogues.
Steve graduated from the State University of New York at Albany in 1980 magna cum laude, and Columbia Law School in 1983, where he was named a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia, Fourth, and Eleventh Circuits, and the United States District Courts for the District of Columbia, the Northern District of California, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Northern District of New York, and the Western District of Virginia.
- Impact of Environmental Law on Real Estate Transactions, in the Environmental Laws & Real Estate Handbook (3rd edition, 1991)