Green and Spiegel is Canada’s largest and oldest immigration law practice with over 50 years of experience assisting a diverse global clientele. We are headquartered in Toronto, Canada with U.S. offices in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Providence, Rhode Island and Vail, Colorado.
Green and Spiegel offers a full range of Canadian and American immigration services for employers, temporary workers, individuals and their families. Whether you are coming to Canada or the United States, to work, join your family, or seek new opportunities, Green and Spiegel can help. If you are an employer who needs an expert to manage your global mobility needs, Green and Spiegel has the depth and breadth of expertise to provide your business with immigration support to ensure a global mobility program that operates smoothly and efficiently.
Mendel Green founded Green and Spiegel LLP in 1962 when immigration law was in its infancy. It was not uncommon for families to be separated by seemingly arbitrary decisions and the prospect of an appeal was nonexistent – immigration decisions were final. The importance of our work was underlined by a lack of accessibility to representation – there were only two lawyers practicing immigration law in Toronto at the time.
What a difference more than 50 years can make. Since then, our practice has grown to include three U.S. offices, 5 partners, and a family of over 100 employees. We restrict our practice exclusively to immigration law and our law firm is considered an industry leader.
How is Green and Spiegel different? Simply put – we are all immigration, all of the time. We are built on the foundation of our staff and team approach to immigration services. Our diverse and talented staff of over 100 immigration professionals are able to offer services in over 30 different languages. We live our diversity – and it shows. Our mantra is to get the work done.
Our reputation has been earned over many years of providing excellent immigration services. The vast majority of our clients come to us the old fashion way: word of mouth referral. Happy clients refer friends, family and colleagues to us.
Green and Spiegel has been recognized by a number of leading publications through peer review, and has received many awards recognizing excellence. The firm was recently ranked by Chambers & Partners in the Chambers Canada Guide 2016 as a Band 1 Law Firm for immigration services. In addition, it was selected by Who's Who Legal for Canada Corporate Immigration. Finally, it has been named as one of Canada’s Top 5 Immigration Boutique law Firms by Canadian Lawyer Magazine and has been selected by Best Lawyers Canada for Immigration Law.
Stephen Green is one of the two Senior Partners at Green and Spiegel and is Certified as a Specialist in Immigration Law by The Law Society of Upper Canada. Stephen has been practising immigration law for 30 years and has extensive experience in all areas of Canadian immigration. Stephen has been identified for many years as a leading practitioner in immigration law. Stephen is considered a subject matter expert in the field, frequently asked to speak as a panellist, moderator and lecturer. Stephen has held the following positions:
- Invited by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to attend the January 2017 roundtable and give feedback on the federal government’s new Global Skills Strategy. The roundtable was attended by important stakeholders such as the Toronto Financial Services Alliance, key government officials and subject matter experts in the field. The government’s new Global Skills Strategy will be refined and rolled out later in 2017.
- Director, Canada Employment Relocation Council since 2015;
- Co-Chair of The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Annual Immigration Law Summit for past 5 years;
- Past Chair of the Citizenship and Immigration Section of the Canadian Bar Association;
- Past Chair, Citizenship and Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association; Secretary (2006) and Treasurer (2007), Citizenship and Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association of Ontario;
- Past Chair, Citizenship & Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association of Ontario;
- Executive Committee of the Canadian Bar Association, Citizenship & Immigration Section, 1991 to 2011; and
- Head Lecturer, Immigration Practices and Procedures Course, Seneca College, 1997 to 2010.
Stephen’s expertise includes all areas of Canadian immigration law, specializing in corporate employee transfers, federal skilled worker applications, investor applications, work permits, and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Stephen also leads the Investment and Entrepreneur Department at the firm, which assists experienced business people and high net worth individuals to invest in Canada to obtain Permanent Residence. Stephen also has particular expertise in NAFTA confirmation exemptions, work permit approvals for strategic, expert and key professional employees and high level executives.
Stephen’s clients range from the largest multinational corporations in the world to many start-up and entrepreneurial clients crossing all industries: IT, telecommunications, hospitality, transportation and consulting to name just a few. Stephen travels around the globe to speak to various business organizations and clients regarding Canadian immigration.
- In addition to community participation, Stephen has been instrumental in raising funds for many organizations, including SickKids Foundation.
- Past Chair, Toronto Board of Trade, Mentoring Taskforce
- Founder and Chairman, The SickKids Connection, Hospital for SickKids Foundation
- Director, HealthyKids International (2008 to 2010)
- Director, Hospital for Sick Children Foundation, Sept. 2002 to 2011
- Executive Committee, David Foster Foundation Gala, 2013
- Gala Co-Chair, David Foster Foundation, 2015
- Director, Mount Sinai Hospital Foundation 1995-2002
- Board Member, Telus Community Board
Show more +
Immigration Law in Canada - East
150 York Street, 5th Floor, Toronto, ON M5H 3S5