Commercial Litigation in Connecticut
977 Farmington Ave, Suite 200, West Hartford, Hartford, 06107
Gfeller Laurie LLP is a law firm founded on the principle of doing things differently and better. The firm’s mission is uncomplicated – to provide “AmLaw 100” quality legal services with a more efficient and agile business model. In contrast to the traditional law firm model, focused on the billable hour and staffing matters based on a hierarchical “pyramid,” the firm’s focus is on obtaining results for our clients in the most efficient way possible and providing excellent client service along the way.
The firm is comprised of experienced and tenacious litigators from some of the largest international law firms. Gfeller Laurie LLP represents clients in complex litigation spanning a variety of business markets and jurisdictions, both nationally and internationally. We also advise clients on various aspects of their respective businesses.Show more +
Bob is a commercial litigator and business advisor with a broad background, particularly in the areas of financial services, manufacturing, life sciences and aviation. Bob is an experienced trial lawyer who has appeared before courts and arbitration panels throughout the United States and in various international proceedings.
Bob regularly advises domestic and international insurance and reinsurance companies on complex commercial matters. He represents insurers in disputes concerning insurance coverage determinations, bad faith/extra-contractual claims, life insurance and related financial products. He has also litigated and arbitrated numerous facultative and treaty reinsurance disputes concerning fraud, contract wording, commutations, allocation, aggregation, number of occurrences, rescission, offset, pre-hearing security and insolvency.
Bob also advises clients on the construction and wording of various types of insurance and reinsurance agreements, with a particular focus on policy wording for cyber insurance products. Bob enjoys advising clients relating to intricate insurance products and facilities and he frequently provides due diligence and transactional assistance to a lending institution for insurance-related loan transactions.
He also frequently represents clients in a broad range of commercial litigation, including commercial contract disputes, commercial fraud, shareholder and partnership disputes, professional liability and product liability. Bob has also defended clients against tort claims involving aviation accidents, premises liability and sports and recreation facilities.
Bob enjoys assisting clients with business formation, contract drafting and risk management issues, including drafting lease, license, non-compete and distribution agreements. He has helped form many start-up businesses and routinely advises corporate clients as to various aspects of their business.
Bob previously served on the Executive Committee of the Insurance Committee of the International Bar Association. He is also a frequent publisher and speaker on topics relating to commercial litigation and the insurance and reinsurance industry.
Bob was named as a New England Super Lawyer® 2013-2016 in the practice areas of insurance coverage litigation.
Outside of the law, Bob serves on the Governance and Finance Committee of The Bridge Family Center, a non-profit organization that provides community-based programs, residential services, youth services, child-parent support, mental health counseling and art and recreational programs for children and families in Connecticut. In addition, Bob has many interests, including surfing, hiking, running and spending time with his wife, two daughters, son, and “Newfie” dogs.
- Insurance Coverage and Extra-Contractual Liability
- Cyber Insurance Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Western New England College, B.A.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- Connecticut - All Courts
- Massachusetts - All Courts
- New Hampshire - All Courts
- International Bar Association, Insurance Committee
- American Bar Association, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- ARIAS U.S.
- The British Insurance Law Association (BILA)
- Professional Liability Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Speaker, "Avoiding the Cross-Hairs: An Update on Attempts by Policyholder Attorneys to Sue Individual Claims Adjusters for Bad Faith or Related Torts and What Adjusters can do to Avoid Direct Claims," CLM New York Conference (December 2018).
- Co-Author, "How Directors and Officers Can Reduce Cyber Liability Exposure," PropertyCasualty360, June, 2017. (PDF)
- Co-Author, "Connecticut Courts Issue Ruling in the Crumbling Foundation Cases," Insurance Day, April, 2017. (PDF)
- Co-Author, "Connecticut Asbestos Ruling," Insurance Day, March 23, 2017. (PDF)
- Speaker, "Discovery in Bad Faith Litigation: Is the Attorney-Client Privilege in Jeopardy?" 2016 CLM New York (Extra-Contractual) Conference.
- Speaker, "Cyber-Insurance: Understanding the New System" (January 2015) Knowledge Congress Webinar.
- Speaker, "Insurance Discovery In Motion”, 2014 Connecticut Bar Association Annual Meeting (June 2014).
- Speaker, Cyber Insurance: What You Need to Know in 2012 (August 2012), Knowledge Congress Webinar.
- Co-Author, "Data Loss Under CGL Policies: The Proverbial Square Peg In A Round Hole," Inaugural Issue of Advisen Cyber Liability Journal, March 2012.
- Co-Author, “Just How Late is Too Late,” Connecticut Law Tribune, November 2009. (PDF)
- Author, “Late Notice Revisited: Recent Decisions Further Obscure the Viability of a Late Notice Coverage Defense," The ACE Group, Claims Bulletin, August 2009.
- Speaker, “The Current Status of the Law on Notification of Circumstances and Claims in Different Global Jurisdictions,” The 2009 Conference of the International Bar Association, Madrid, Spain.
- Speaker, “Insurance on Asbestos Liabilities,” The 2008 Conference of the International Bar Association, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Co-Author, “Déjà Vu All Over Again – Auction Rate Securities are the Latest Debacle to Hit the Financial Services Industry,” Mealey’s Emerging Insurance Disputes, August 2008.
- Speaker, “United States Insurance Regulation – Developments in the Movement for Reform,” The 2007 Conference of the International Bar Association, Singapore.
- Co-Author, “Mass. High Court Says Excess Carrier Not Bound By Primary’s Settlement Decision,” National Underwriter, November 5, 2007.
- Speaker, “The Insurability of Punitive Damages,” Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, National Conference, October 2006.
- Co-Author, “Trouble In Front,” Run-Off Business, Summer 2004.
- Author, “Navigating the Seas of D&O Policy Rescission,” National Underwriter, September 20, 2003.
- Author, “Not So Fast: Ruling in the Legion Insurance Company Rehabilitation Proceeding Provides Direct Access to Reinsurance Only in Limited Circumstances,” Edwards & Angell Insurance & Reinsurance Update, September 2003.
- Co-Author, “Proposed SEC Proxy Disclosure Rules; Investors’ Savior or Plaintiffs’ Bar Weapon?,” Financial Advisor Magazine, November 2002.
- Former Board President of The Bridge Family Center (2011-2014)