Ramanand is a partner with over twenty-five years of international work experience in corporate law and finance. Now based in Bangalore, he provides specialist advisory services on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, international agreements and collaborations for biotech, drug and medical device discovery and development, related transactions in the field of life sciences and healthcare, and multifaceted insolvency resolution and bankruptcy matters.
Ramanand is also a corporate governance and risk management specialist—advising listed and unlisted companies on complex and sensitive board and c-suite level corporate governance issues (including addressing the discovery and reporting of material corporate fraud).
In addition to his transactional work, Ramanand has appeared before various courts and tribunals in corporate and commercial disputes, and he is empanelled as a commercial arbitrator by the Indian Institute of Arbitration and Mediation.
Prior to returning to India in late 2007, he spent 11 years in Europe and the US, working with the International Monetary Fund in Washington, DC and a United Nations commission in Geneva, Switzerland. On returning to India, he co-founded Mundkur Law Partners (MLP), an award-winning, boutique law firm based in Bangalore. Effective April 1, 2019, MLP merged its law practice with Bharucha & Partners (B&P), to form the current firm of Bharucha, Singh, Mundkur (B&P).
Ramanand holds a master’s degree from Harvard Law School (specializing in international finance), where he received the Langdon E Gammon fellowship and a Myer and Etta Dana scholarship. He earned his bachelor’s degree from the National Law School of India University, where he graduated at the top of his class with seven academic gold medals. Ramanand’s love for the law keeps him engaged in teaching and speaking on international finance, arbitration and corporate governance, including teaching courses at the National Law School of India University and the National University of Juridical Sciences in India.
Ramanand is qualified to practice law in India and New York.
Recent representations include:
M&A and Private Equity
- Advising the promoters of an Indian healthcare revenue cycle management company on a majority stake sale to a private equity investor (approx. transaction value: US$150 million)
- Advising the promoters of a listed Indian company on structured debt finance to acquire the stake of a private equity investor in a pharma subsidiary (approx. transaction value: ₹ 1,000 million)
- Advising the promoters of an Indian healthcare revenue cycle management company on a restructuring of its ownership and stake sale to a group of private equity investors (approx. transaction value: US$200 million)
- Advising an Indian financial services company on a series of private equity and structured debt funding transactions (approx. transaction value: ₹ 3,300 million)
- Structuring a phased exit for a private equity investor in a transformer manufacturer (approximate transaction value: ₹ 1,000 million)
- Primary and secondary investments into a privately held chain of specialty hospitals (approx. transaction value: US$ 100 million)
- Venture capital investment into a US company with an Indian subsidiary for a mobile application business (approx. transaction value: US$ 10 million)
- Advising a publicly listed diversified Indian company on the merger of its pharma subsidiary with the parent entity
- Advising a listed Indian spirits major on the sale of its wine-making subsidiary (approx. transaction value: ₹ 300 million)
Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Advising on several multi-million dollar drug and medical device discovery, development and commercialization agreements for listed and privately held biotechnology and pharmaceuticals companies
- Advising on several multi-million dollar contract research, materials transfer, contract manufacturing, and clinical research agreements for listed and privately held biotechnology and pharmaceuticals companies
- Advising an incubator, established by the Government of India’s Department of Biotechnology, on investment in and technology licenses and product development agreements with biotech start-ups
Corporate Governance and Disputes
- Advising the board of directors of a listed Indian consumer goods company on corporate governance issues following the discovery of significant fund diversion and other wrongful transactions by the company’s erstwhile promoters
- Advising the senior management of a listed Indian company on addressing recently discovered regulatory misreporting and potential fraud by company employees
- Representing a listed Indian company to recover funds lent to a former listed affiliate in winding-up proceedings brought against the former affiliate;
- Advising foreign owned Indian businesses on liquidation of their Indian operations for either strategic reasons or financial distress
- Representing a financial services company in an arbitration brought against a public sector banking company
- Representing a venture capital firm in civil litigation brought against one of its venture partners
- Representing and advising the former CEO of an Indian unicorn on his negotiated exit from the business following a change of control