ALMT Legal is a dynamic and progressive full-service Indian law firm that provides high quality Indian law and regulatory expertise. With approximately 70 lawyers and 20 partners across offices in strategic commercial centres of Mumbai and Bangalore, ALMT Legal has an established reputation as one of India’s top bracket firms. ALMT Legal’s practice areas encompass all aspects of Indian law and regulations ranging from corporate and commercial to tax, employment, dispute resolution, intellectual property, shipping, aviation and even immigration laws.
We realise that success is dependent on efficient, cost effective and timely services. Easy and quick access to top quality service providers is crucial for clients and we strive to achieve this.
We also pride ourselves in providing a practical and commercially sound approach to solving business issues to overcome the complex commercial, regulatory, legal, and technical issues, characteristic of doing business in India. Maintaining relationships with each client and ensuring that our rigorous standards are maintained in all matters, large or small, is the culture at ALMT Legal. We ensure that a dedicated partner handles each matter.
In cities where we do not have our own offices and cannot for any reason fully handle the matter remotely, we rely on a responsible, dedicated and handpicked group of correspondents that enables us to service client requirements on the same basis and with the same quality assurance that ALMT Legal is proud to offer. At all times we retain the care, control and supervision of all matters referred to any correspondent offices that act under our guidance and instruction.
Asialaw Profiles 2021 Edition recommends ALMT Legal for capital markets, construction, corporate and M&A, energy, infrastructure, labour and employment, private equity, real estate, and tax. 2021 Corporate Intl Global Awards has awarded ALMT Legal as ‘Employment Law Firm of the Year in India - 2021’ and ‘Cross Border Tax Law Firm of the Year in India - 2021’. 2020 Global Law Experts Awards has awarded ALMT Legal as ‘Employment Law Firm of the Year in India – 2020' and ‘Cross Border Tax Law Firm of the Year in India – 2020'. Asian Legal Business 2020 has recognised ALMT Legal for Intellectual Property (Patents) and M&A. Asia Pacific Legal 500 2020 Edition has recommended several of our partners and designated some as leading lawyers in various practice areas such as banking and finance, capital markets, corporate & M&A, dispute resolution, investment funds, labour and employment, real estate & construction, shipping, technology, media & telecoms (TMT) and tax. India Business Law Journal Award 2019 and 2020 has awarded ALMT Legal award-winning law firm India for ‘Labour and Employment’ and ‘Shipping and Maritime’.
ALMT Legal partners come from diverse backgrounds, bringing together a wealth of legal, business, and cultural experiences.
All our lawyers have first-hand knowledge and experience of the Indian market and are duly qualified Indian advocates with a right of audience throughout India. We also have lawyers admitted to the Law Society of England and Wales, who enrich our talent pool and bring their experience in working with international firms to ALMT Legal.
Associates at every level at ALMT Legal are provided a vibrant and challenging environment in which to develop and expand the skills and expertise that go a long way in assisting our clients.
Our member partners Aliff Fazelbhoy and Ryna Karani have been recognised as leading lawyers by various publications. Most recently, Aliff Fazelbhoy was featured in Asian Legal Business magazine’s 'A-List of India's Super 50 Lawyers in 2020’. Asia Law Profiles 2021 Edition has recognised Aliff as ‘Distinguished Practitioner’ for Labour and Employment and Corporate M&AShow more +
After graduating commerce from Mumbai University and completing Company Secretary from Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Prem undertook and completed his degree in law from Government Law College in 2011. He also completed master in business law from National Law School of India University in 2015. He is enrolled as Advocate with the Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa and is also a fellow member of Institute of Company Secretaries of India.
Prem is a Principal Associate at ALMT Legal and is a part of the Firm’s banking and finance team and is also a part of Firm’s corporate and commercial practice. He has been practicing as a lawyer since 2012. Before joining ALMT Legal he was a part of a corporate team in another reputed firm.
At ALMT, Prem has gained extensive experience in finance matters. Several matters of his transactional corporate practice have involved finance and restructuring transactions, including the acquisitions. Prem’s corporate practice is mainly focused on acquisitions and transactional work for domestic private equity funds and multinational companies. He has a considerable experience on complex transactions involving foreign exchange regulations and financial restructuring strategies.
• Advised offshore branch of India’s leading public sector bank on its funding to another private sector bank in India. The matter included drafting of transaction documents and advising the lending bank on the regulatory norms applicable in connection with bank to bank loan and exchange control regulations;
• Assisted a foreign financial institution on factoring transaction between Germany and India. The transaction required to review the draft facility documents and advise on the applicable exchange control regulations and laws for factoring;
• Assisted a supply chain company in negotiating a strategic investment transaction from a leading motor company in Singapore and India. The scope included assisting the company to provide exit to the old investor and entry of new investor with a combination of subscription and transfer of stake holding in the Indian company and the parent company situated in Singapore. As the transaction was spread between two countries a structuring from an exchange control point of view was required to be done;
• Represented leading Security Trustee and a private sector bank, both acting as security trustee, in structuring the documents under the multiple banking facilities availed by the borrower from more than ten lenders. The work included advising on regulatory norms in several states, drafting of transaction and security documents and opining on the enforceability of the same;
• Represented a leading private sector bank for financing construction of mall in South India. This transaction involved advising the bank on real estate laws including RERA and protecting the interest of the bank through mortgage and escrow mechanism;
• Advised Indian branch of leading Middle East Bank to lend a term loan facility to a real estate company in India and on issue of corporate guarantee by the UAE parent company for the loan provided by the bank;
• Represented security trustee in preparing and structuring the transaction documents post demerger of two segments of different companies spread across several states in India;
• Advised a leading private sector bank on a ship finance transaction for purchase of a vessel by an Indian borrower from a Japanese seller in Panama. The transaction included drafting of necessary transaction documents for financing and securing the loan and reviewing the sale transaction which was routed through Singapore governed by English law. This transaction was challenging as it was spread across five jurisdictions;
• Advised a pharmaceutical company in issuing employee stock options, this included drafting of scheme and assisting the company on the compliance of Companies Act 2013 and the capital market regulations for availing the approval for listing the shares upon conversion from stock. PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS AND ACTIVITIES
• Member of the Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
• Fellow member of Institute of Company Secretary of India QUALIFICATIONS
• B.Com, University of Mumbai
• LLB., University of Mumbai
• Company Secretary, Institute of Company Secretaries of India
• Master of Business Law, National Law School of India UniversityShow more +