Insolvency in Louisiana
301 Main Street Suite 1640, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70801
SRBA’s attorneys bring a cohesive, results-driven approach to complex in and out-of-court corporate restructurings, and state and federal insolvency proceedings, representing debtors, trustees and committees.
Our attorneys have represented stakeholders in various situations within the bankruptcy process, including:
- Debtors in chapter 11 reorganizations
- Unsecured creditors’ committees
- Trustees in chapters 11 and 7
- Prosecuting and Defending avoidance actions and other bankruptcy-related litigation
- Asserting secured and unsecured claims against estates
- Prosecuting the assumption or rejection of contracts and leases
- Purchasing property from bankruptcy estates
- Investigations of various parties in bankruptcy proceedings
- Automatic stay modifications and other proceedings related to the automatic stay
- Discharge and dischargeability proceedings
A Certified Business Bankruptcy Specialist, Mr. Stewart is licensed in Louisiana and clerked for the Honorable Louis M. Phillips from 1998–2000.
Mr. Stewart is a founding member of the firm. Mr. Stewart has authored and co-authored numerous bankruptcy related articles over the past twenty years and has lectured extensively on bankruptcy topics. Mr. Stewart has represented panel trustees, chapter 11 trustees, creditors, creditor committees and debtors-in-possession throughout his career. Mr. Stewart holds the designation of Advocate from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Mr. Stewart is perennially recognized by Super Lawyer magazine as an outstanding lawyer in the area of Bankruptcy.
- Louisiana College, B.A., 1993
- Mississippi College, J.D. 1996
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
Mr. Stewart clerked for the Honorable Louis M. Phillips, United States Bankruptcy Judge, Middle District of Louisiana from 1998 - 2000.
Prior to forming Stewart Robbins Brown & Altazan LLC, Mr. Stewart practiced with the firm of Taylor, Porter, Brooks, & Phillips, LLP and was a partner in the firm of Milling Benson, LLP.
ARTICLES & PRESENTATIONS
Mr. Stewart frequently presents on bankruptcy related topics with the Louisiana State Bar Association, Louisiana State University, the Fifth Circuit Bench Bar Conference and the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees.