Family Law and Human Rights in Australia
Level 1, 93 Hunter Street,, Australia, NSW 2300
Neisha Shepherd and her team at NLS Law are committed to Justice. We are able to formulate a legal approach tailored towards our client's specific needs. We have insight, experience and knowledge to resolve complex matters efficiently and cost‑effectively. Most importantly the personal contact and communication that our clients receive ensures that they are listened to. Not only is our advice practical but it assists in resolving the issues in the case.
We take on challenging cases that have contributed to the development of the law and most importantly achieved successful outcomes for our clients. Winning at the High Court of Australia is one example of how our work has contributed to Family Law.
Neisha has presented conference papers in Australia and Internationally in the areas of Children's Rights and Family Law and is a sessional teacher at the University of Newcastle in Law.
Our work at NLS Law has been recognised by the profession and community. Neisha was nominated for the NSW Law and Justice Foundation, Justice Medal in 2011 for her contribution to Family and Children's Law. This award recognised her commitment to children and family law.Show more +
Neisha is the Founder and Legal Director of NLS Law with offices in Newcastle NSW and Melbourne Victoria - Australia. Neisha is an Accredited Specialist in Children’s Law, a Collaborative Lawyer and a Registered Migration Agent.
Neisha and her legal team are able to provide assistance in all aspects of Children and Family Law including International Family Law issues, Immigration, Parenting Disputes about Children, Relocation, Child Abduction, Family Violence and Child Abuse issues, Marriage, Divorce and Defacto Disputes, Financial, Maintenance and Property Claims. The firm specialises in complex matters and has experience in collaborative law processes, mediation and settlement conferences, successful litigation including appeals.
NLS Law also offers legal services in the area of Immigration Law, Criminal Law, Defamation and Discrimination
- PHD Candidate (Law) University of Newcastle
- Collaborative Law Training–Seattle WA.
- Accredited Specialist Children’s Law, Law Society of New South Wales;
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Bachelor of Law
- Certificate IV in Workplace and Assessment,NSW,Australia;
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours)
- Member of the Law Council of Australia, Family Law and International Law Section.
- Member of International Law Association
- Member of International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member of the Children Rights Information Network
- Member of Law Society of NSW
- Member of Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of Law Society of Newcastle
- Member of International Society of Family Law
- Member of International Referral
International Conference Presentations
- 2014 International Conference CRC 25 years (17-18 November 2014) Leiden University, The Netherlands Paper Entitled: Invisible Children: Perspectives from a Child Rights Lawyer - Theme: Children's Rights and Migration.
- 2012 Inspiring Resilience, 10th Triennial International Child and Youth Care Conference Alberta, Canada Paper Entitled:My Right, My Voice, My Life, The Care and Protection of Children and Young People at Risk2014 Children in a changing World: Challenges for Families and Communities (19-21 August 2014)
- 2005 XXIX International Congress of Law and Mental Health, Sorbonne University, Paris,France. Paper Entitled:Falling Thru the Cracks, the Care and Protection of Young People at Risk”National ACWA Sydney Australia Paper Entitled: It Hurts Me Too: The Representation of Children Where There are Circumstances of Family Violence and Abuse.
Conference Presentations in Australia
- Children in a changing World: Challenges for Families and Communities (19-21 August 2014) National ACWA Sydney Australia; Paper Entitled: It Hurts Me Too: The Representation of Children Where There are Circumstances of Family Violence and Abuse.
- 2012 Human Rights Conference Thomas Reuters Sydney NSW Paper Entitled:Children’s Law–Criminal Law and Care and Protection–CulturalIssues
- 2010 Care and Protection Conference, NSW Paper Entitled:Dealing with Child Sexual Assault in Care Proceedings,Recent Developments in Law
- 2006 NGO Conference, NSW Papers Entitled:Criminal Law,Care and Protection, Implementation of The United Nations Conventions on the Rights of the Child in practice