Commercial Law in Papua New Guinea
5th Floor, Pacific Place Cnr Musgrave Street & Champion Parade, Port Moresby, PO Box 1173
Leahy Lewin Lowing Sullivan is the leading independent Papua New Guinea based commercial law firm advising a wide range of investors, institutions and governments in and about Papua New Guinea. The firm’s major areas of expertise include corporate advisory, banking and finance, energy and resources, aviation, construction and infrastructure and government and public company work.
The five partners of the firm have practised extensively in Papua New Guinea (and Australia) and have significant legal and commercial expertise in the areas in which we practice.Show more +
Areas of Expertise:
- Commercial Law
- Public Companies
- Oil & Gas
- Banking and Finance
Bachelor of Arts (Economics & Japanese) (University of New South Wales)
Bachelor of Laws (University of New South Wales)
Master of Laws (University of Sydney)
Admitted to practice as a solicitor in NSW (1983), as a lawyer in PNG (1993) and as solicitor in England and Wales (2012)
Areas of Experience
Michael’s main areas of practice are oil & gas, mining, securities, public companies and banking and finance.
Michael’s work has included the negotiating, drafting and settling of complex documents used in the oil and gas industry including gas agreements with the State, joint venture agreements, unitisation agreements, cost sharing agreements, transportation and lifting agreements, gas sales agreements and farm-in and farmout.
Michael has worked on every major oil and gas project in PNG over the last 10 years including the following:
● Hides Gas to Electricity Project
● Unitisation of the Moran oil field
● Proposed PNG Queensland Gas Project
● Proposed Hides LNG Project
● Proposed Oil Search/British Gas LNG Project
● Oil Search/ExxonMobil/Santos PNG LNG Project
Michael has also worked on various major corporate transactions including:
● Merger of Oil Search & Orogen Minerals (including due diligence exercise)
● Merger of Lihir Gold & Newcrest Mining Limited
● Oil Search’s acquisition of Chevron Niugini (including due diligence exercise)
● Oil Search’s acquisition of British Petroleum’s upstream oil and gas assets
(including due diligence exercise)
● Listing of Oil Search on the Port Moresby Stock Exchange
● Corporate reorganization of Oil Search’s overseas and domestic subsidiaries
● Partial takeover of New Britain Palm Oil Limited Refinancing of Bemobile Limited
● Re-negotiation of the Integrated Benefits Package for the Lihir Island Gold Mine
● Michael’s banking and finance experience includes acting for the lenders in the following major transactions:
● Debt financing for the Tolokuma Gold Mine
● Equity financing for the Lihir Gold Mine
● Financing of the million ounce plant upgrade for the Lihir Gold Mine
● Financing of the construction of the Poroporena Freeway, Port Moresby
● Acting for the Asian Development Bank on the financing of the proposed “Z Fishing” tuna cannery in Madang
● Acting for PNG Gold Corporation in its merger with New Guinea Gold Corporation ((including handling due diligence)
● Acting for Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation in its due diligence inquiries on Prime Resources Limited
● Aircraft leases for Qantas and Airlines of PNG
● Acting for Deutsche Bank in the refinancing of the Hidden Valley Gold Mine
Prior to joining Leahy Lewin Lowing Sullivan Lawyers, Michael spent 12 years working in the oil and gas industry as general counsel and group secretary for Oil Search Limited, the largest oil and gas company in Papua New Guinea. As a result
Michael has a very high level of understanding of how the oil and gas industry operates in practice.
Michael also spent 12 months as executive general manager legal and general counsel for Lihir Gold.
Prior to that Michael was a partner at Gadens and before that a senior associate at
Michael is a qualified company secretary and a public notary in New South Wales.
Michael is admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales and in Australia as well as in Papua New Guinea.
● Member of the Australian Mining and Petroleum Lawyers Association (AMPLA)
● Member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
● Member, Law Society of New South Wales
● Member, Law Society of England & Wales Leahy Lewin Lowing Sullivan
● Member, Law Society of Papua New Guinea
● Fellow, Institute of Chartered Secretaries (London)
● Fellow, Australia & New Zealand Society of Public Notaries
● Member, LawasiaShow more +