Corporate Law in Washington DC
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 700, Washington, D.C., 20004
Potomac Law is committed to innovation, excellence, and professionalism. Our value stems directly from the talent and commitment of our attorneys who practice law throughout the United States. Our attorneys have outstanding academic credentials and impressive professional experience, with an average of fifteen years at top national firms and/or in-house at major corporations. Clients recognize our attorneys’ skills and creative strategies, as well as their common sense and practical solutions.
We use a modern business model that eliminates much of the costly overhead and over-staffing traditionally associated with large law firms. Through our innovative approach to law firm management and use of technology, we are able to offer clients exactly what they are seeking: sophisticated legal advice from knowledgeable attorneys at attractive rates.
We define our success based upon our ability to support our clients’ businesses. Clients pay only for highly experienced legal advisors, not unnecessary overhead typically associated with traditional law firms, such as lavish office space, junior associate training, and other expenses that offer little direct value to clients. We serve as counsel to clients in a wide range of industries and developmental phases, from Fortune 500 companies to early-stage startups.
Our attorneys have an average of fifteen years of legal experience. Before joining Potomac Law, they were partners, counsel and senior associates at internationally recognized law firms, legal counsel at multinational corporations, and professors at top-ranking law schools. In addition to distinguished legal careers, many of our attorneys have experience working in business, consulting, entrepreneurship, and the government. Their depth of experience, coupled with a pragmatic business approach, ensures that our clients receive practical advice in a responsive manner.
Our use of the latest technology to practice law in a low-overhead environment enables us to deliver efficient legal services to our clients. In addition to reduced hourly rates, we offer clients a wide range of fee arrangements, including flat fees, alternative fees, and contingency-based billing.
Our firm supports our clients in a way that makes the most sense for their business. Depending on a client’s business strategies and goals, our attorneys will work under a wide range of arrangements. Whether the project requires a team of our most experienced transactional lawyers on a cross-border transaction, filling a gap in a client’s in-house team on an ongoing basis or answering a specific question, we work directly with our clients to ensure that they have the support for success at all stages.Show more +
Ms. Sossamon is a Partner with 17+ years in-house and law firm experience whose practice focuses on complex corporate transactions and general counsel services. With specialized expertise counseling businesses that monetize intellectual property, Ms. Sossamon structures and negotiates licensing, research, development, promotion, supply, distribution and service agreements, strategic alliances and joint ventures. Often, she serves as a legal advisor on new or acquired businesses, products and services as an outsourced general counsel.
In particular, Ms. Sossamon is highly skilled in leveraging her prior experience as an entrepreneur and as a senior in-house counsel to navigate the territory between legal risk and business objectives to craft practical solutions that fuel growth.
As Deputy General Counsel of a publicly traded intellectual property, online content and professional services company, Ms. Sossamon previously served as the lead legal executive for a $750m+ global business segment.
- Lead all legal support for global business segment across 11 global offices and 30 countries including intellectual property, M&A, investments, joint ventures, corporate strategy, commercial contracting, and employment.
- Provide strategic guidance on new businesses, products, and services to exploit intellectual property assets and structure business transactions and protective measures for intellectual property, technology, and brand assets.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate high-volume of complex commercial contracts, including sales, advertising, marketing, software, consulting, and vendor agreements.
- Counsel a wide variety of businesses on M&A, capital raises, contracts, licensing, intellectual property, joint ventures, partnerships, business operations, dispute resolution, and employment.
- CEB Inc., Deputy General Counsel
- Manning & Sossamon PLLC, Managing Partner
- Hogan Lovells, Associate
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1999
- University of Oklahoma, B.A., Political Science and Public Relations, magna cum laude, 1992
PRACTICE AREASIntellectual PropertyCorporateTechnology and IP TransactionsCommunications, Media, and EntertainmentGeneral Counsel Services
District of Columbia