We are committed to offering you services that fit your own specific challenges.
Sarrazin+Plourde is a boutique law firm focused on developing tailor-made solutions to solve the legal problems or issues of its clients by joining forces with them. Our clients are presented with all available options, and the various solutions are assessed according to both needs and expected outcome. Its two partners, Marie-Claude Sarrazin and Nicolas Plourde, have both practiced within large Montreal firms. Together with their dedicated team, they are committed to offering you services that fit your situation perfectly, meeting your own specific challenges, while always adopting a measured approach.
While Sarrazin+Plourde offers particular expertise in civil, commercial and disciplinary litigation, we also provide negotiation, mediation and strategic counsel services for legislation matters and representation before public authorities, on a variety of issues.Show more +
A Université de Montréal graduate called to the Bar in 2002, Marie-Claude Sarrazin is a seasoned litigator with over 10 years of experience in disciplinary, civil and commercial litigation. She favours innovative approaches to dispute resolution, seeking out creative and practical solutions to meet clients’ needs.
Marie-Claude has proven expertise in the areas of disciplinary and professional law gained while representing syndics of professional orders along with professionals and stakeholders before various disciplinary councils and the Professions Tribunal. She routinely handles cases involving a variety of professions. This practice has also allowed her to expand her knowledge of penal offences related to professional practice.
She is also skilled with respect to construction law matters. Her experience has led her to advise and to represent contractors, owners and sureties, including in high-profile trials. She has acquired valuable knowledge pertaining to open tendering and to claims related to construction projects for contractors, professionals, owners or sureties.
Her varied political experience acquired over the last 20 years makes her an ideal advisor for the development of strategies and arguments for requests for legislative changes and representations before public authorities.
Frequently representing syndics before disciplinary councils and the Professions Tribunal of various professional orders such as the Ordre de comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, the Ordre des psychologues du Québec, the Chambre des notaires du Québec and the Ordre des ergothérapeutes du Québec.
Intervening before the Court of Appeal on behalf of the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec in the Ingénieurs v. Gilbert matter involving the nature of the syndic-expert relationship.
Representing the Parti Québécois before the Commission of Inquiry on the Awarding and Management of Public Contracts in the Construction Industry (Charbonneau Commission).
Representing the Régie des installations olympiques (RIO) in the context of an injunction instituted by an unsuccessful bidder when a call for tenders for the installation of a handling system to renovate the Olympic Stadium mast was cancelled.
Involved in a lawsuit filed by the Hudson’s Bay Company against the City of Montreal regarding the crack in the concrete slab of The Bay department store in 2006.
Involved in the long-term trial concerning the Olympic Stadium roof in the matter Danny’s Construction Company v. Birdair inc. and Canadian General Insurance Company concerning a contractual duty to cooperate.
Representing an architect firm in a professional liability lawsuit leading to the dismissal before the Quebec Court of Appeal of a claim for over $8 million in Côté v. Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada.
Representing McGill University in the context of lawsuits and claims arising from construction contracts, and in particular with respect to the Génome Québec Innovation Centre.
Conferences and Publications
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “Justice sans papier : Plus simple et accessible que l’on pense!” (National Judicial Institute, delivered in St John’s (Nfld.), 9 May 2018).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “Le plaidoyer de culpabilité : où en sommes-nous?” (OpenForumOuvert, Droit disciplinaire et droit administratif, delivered in Montreal, 17 April 2018).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “Justice sans papier - Présentation d’un projet-pilote” (Journée des syndics, Forum des syndics, Conseil interprofessionnel du Québec, delivered in Montreal, 21 June 2017).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “L’enquête et l’entrevue : Les meilleures pratiques” (OpenForumOuvert, Droit disciplinaire et droit administratif, delivered in Montreal, 25 April 2017).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “La place du préjudice dans la détermination de la sanction” (OpenForumOuvert, Droit disciplinaire et droit administratif, delivered in Montreal, 31 May 2016).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “L’expert en droit disciplinaire : où en sommes-nous ?” (Journée thématique en droit disciplinaire, Canadian Institute, delivered in Montreal, 3 June 2015).
- Marie-Claude Sarrazin, “Décisions récentes et litiges émergents en droit disciplinaire” (Journée thématique en droit disciplinaire, Canadian Institute, delivered in Montreal, 11 June 2014).
Marie-Claude is also the author of several conferences offered to clients in professional disciplinary law, including:
- “Le dossier d’enquête : meilleures pratiques pour rencontrer son fardeau de preuve”.
- “Faute déontologique ou erreur technique : là est la question”.
- “Procédures concomitantes : autonomies et interrelations?”.
- “Relation entre le syndic et son expert : une question d’utilité”.
Professional and Community Involvement
- President of the Société québécoise d'information juridique (SOQUIJ) (2018 to present)
- Founding member of the Accès au droit et à la justice (ADAJ) research collaboration and Director of the Laboratoire de cyberjustice pilot project entitled Justice sans papier (2016 to present)
- Member of the Liaison Committee between the Bar of Montreal and the Professions Tribunal (2008 to present), including participation in drafting the Aide-mémoire sur les meilleures pratiques au Tribunal des professions in November 2012
- Secretary of the Observatoire sur le droit à la justice affiliated with the Université de Montréal (2011 to present)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Théâtre de l’Opsis (2012 to present)
Commercial Litigation in Canada - East
485 McGill Street Suite 500 Montreal Québec H2Y 2H4