Corporate Governance & Compliance in Mexico
Avenida Paseo de la Reforma 389, Piso 12 Col. Cuauhtemoc C.P., Mexico City, 06500
WHO WE ARE
Campos Galván y Abogados is an international law firm with its principal office in Mexico City and foreign offices located in New York City and Miami.
- We are a full-service firm in Mexico;
- Our partners and associates are admitted in Mexico and the United States;
- Our foreign offices serve as a local clearinghouse on issues of Mexican Law;
- Through our foreign offices, we also provide local legal advice to small and medium-size Latin American businesses that wish to enter the US market;
- Our US capability includes Corporate, Labor and Employment, Immigration, Intellectual Property, Real Estate and Trademarks.
Our Corporate Practice in the United States counsels Latin American clients with respect to their corporate law needs in the United States. We advise clients in forming their presence in the United States, its structure and assist them in defining the rights and relationships of owners and stockholders. For companies in other stages of the business life cycle, our group develops and implements exit strategies and handles succession planning matters.
We represent corporations, partnerships and sole proprietorships on developing and implementing internal programs to educate officers, owners and employees in all aspects of corporate compliance.
We are experienced in negotiating, drafting and reviewing agreements of all types, including employment, distribution, manufacturing, licensing, outsourcing and other agreements.
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
We represent clients in Mexico or U.S.-based and transnational acquisitions and divestitures of both publicly held and privately held companies. Our corporate attorneys are experienced in developing and implementing creative strategies designed to maximize value and position our clients as advantageously as possible in mergers and acquisitions. Our counsel is aimed at structuring the negotiations and transactions within these events to help best meet our clients' immediate needs and long-term business goals.
Our expertise includes:
- Merger and spin-off agreements and strategies;
- Strategic alliances and Joint-Ventures;
- Asset and stock purchases;
Our Commercial Practice assists clients on their ongoing business and trading requirements, from strategic relationships to business as usual arrangements. Our lawyers work with clients around the world on a wide variety of commercial agreements, ranging from
agency, manufacturing and distribution agreements to franchising, concession and technology and non-technology licensing arrangements, from e-commerce, sourcing, IT services, procurement, software, advertising, sponsorship and marketing to joint ventures and supply of goods and services. We support businesses across a broad range of industry sectors from hospitality, hotels and leisure to sports and entertainment, from manufacturing, food and agribusiness to retail, from technology to financial services.
We counsel our clients in the acquisition and financing of real estate projects, whether residential in Mexico or the United States, commercial or industrial in Mexico. Our practise is not limited to the transfer of property, but we offer a multi-disciplinary approach with advisers on corporate, finance, tax and risk management issues as well as real estate lawyers. With trust and respect being the foundation of all of our partnerships, we value every single client and invest the time to truly learn your business.
- Residential and commercial purchase and sale transactions;
- Real Estate Trusts;
- Residential and Commercial lease review, drafting and negotiation;
- Landlord/Tenant disputes;
- Licenses and Permits;
- Institutional and private lenders;
A company’s need for trademark services evolves with the growth of its business and is affected by the nature of the technology, the industry, the economy, consumer reaction, and competition. Trademarks and their associated goodwill are among our clients’ most valuable assets and a part of the daily business landscape of manufacturers, merchants, and consumers.
We offer a full range of legal services in all aspects of brand management and protection on a global basis. We assist clients in obtaining, maintaining, and enforcing trademark rights throughout the world. Our services include:
- Trademark Identification and Selection
- Trademark Clearance
- Trademark Prosecution
- Global Trademark Portfolio Management
- Trademark Licensing
Doing business in the international arena requires navigating a wide array of statutes and regulations across multiple jurisdictions which govern the movement of goods, technology, software, people and services across borders. We help our clients chart a path through the complex intersections of government requirements and their strategic business goals. As trusted advisors to our clients, we provide counsel on the range of challenging issues that come into play when you do business in multiple jurisdictions.
Our counsel includes import regulations, labelling, license and preferential programs such as IMMEX, ALTEX and ECEX, including the regulatory requirements for the importation of wine and spirits.
- Import and Exports
- Customs Notices / Regulatory Compliance
- Import and Export Licenses
- Advise on compliance with OFAC Sanctions Program
Our Regulatory Practice refers to compliance with regulatory legislation applicable to the manufacturing, labelling, wrapping, transport, commercialization, distribution and advertisement for ítems such as medical devices, pharmaceuticals, beauty products, perfumes, personal health care ítems, hazardous substances, insecticides, amongst others. We secure the necessary permits, licenses and ensure the continued compliance by our clients.
- Registration of Medical Devices and Pharmaceuticals;
- Labelling and Advertising;
- Regulatory compliance with COFEPRIS;
- Registration and Agency services with the FDA;
GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT PUBLIC TENDERS
Our government procurement practice provides comprehensive legal advice from the planning stages, participation in tenders and bids, negotiation of government contracts, regulatory compliance, compliance with the terms of the award, counsel with respect to notices related to compliance of the agreement, fines and penalties, early terminations and defaults on public agreements, as well as controversies derived from them.
Our services include:
- Preparation of foreign companies for the bidding process;
- Participation in bids and direct assignment of contracts;
- Negotiation of the procurement agreements;
- Ensure compliance with conditions to the execution of the supply agreement;
- Ensure compliance during the term of the agreement;
- Notices on compliance and penalties;
- Early Termination and cancellation of agreements;
- Administrative Procedures;
- Procedures before the regulatory authority;
- Government contract litigation.
IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY
We represent businesses and their employees in every aspect of business immigration matters. The wide range of legal services we provide in the area of employment-based immigration and nationalization include:
- Legal entry into the United States and maintenance of lawful status: Our services prevent complications from arising when foreign nationals are employed in the U.S., and our tracking system automatically advises clients of key expiration dates.
- Arranging for temporary work-authorized visa status: With our experience in this area, we know how to acquire visas smoothly and how to craft creative solutions.
- Lawful permanent residence and green card status: Our experience includes the different options to secure green cards issued for employees. We make the process transparent and predictable for both employers and employees.
- Loss of permanent residence and expatriation issues: We understand the broad array of requirements and tax implications that U.S. citizens and long-term residents face when residing on a temporary or permanent basis in another country, and can advise on how best to maintain or surrender their green card while on assignment abroad.
- Family-based immigration: We assist with family-based immigration issues in an effort to meet all of the employees' needs.
- Global mobility issues faced by employees: Our efforts allow for employees to move freely from country to county when conducting business on behalf of your company. We also have an extended network of colleagues and law firms across the globe allowing us to resolve global mobility issues that our clients face.
- I-9 compliance and worksite enforcement: We make certain that employers manage compliance risk appropriately.
LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
Our Employment & Labor team offers a full range of issues, from day-to-day employment matters to transactional support. We have a strong track record of advising major corporations across various industries and jurisdictions.
Some areas of particular focus include:
- Cross-border employment issues;
- Day-to-day employment advice;
- Employee privacy and data protection;
- Health, safety and benefits;
- Labour law and other collective rights;
- M&A diligence and transactional support;
- Management and employee training;
- Employee Handbooks;
- Immigration Compliance Strategies;
- Employment Litigation;
Paseo de la Reforma 389 Piso 12
México, D.F. 06500
14 Wall Street, 20th Fl
New York, New York 10005
1441 Brickell Avenue, Suite 1400
Miami, Florida, 33131
Manuel Campos graduated from the Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey. He received a Master’s of Law degree with a concentration in International Business Transactions from Fordham University School of Law and has participated in the Program for Instruction for Lawyers at Harvard University. In addition to being admitted in Mexico, he is licensed by the State of New York as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Mexican Law as well as being admitted to the New York Bar.
Mr. Campos advises Mexican and foreign clients in all aspects of foreign investment, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, regulatory issues and cross-border issues.
Mr. Campos is a frequent speaker on international panels on Mexican law and has published several articles on manufacturing in Mexico, environmental law, electronic commerce and international trade, among others. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association where he has served in the Executive Committee of the International Law and Practice Section, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York where he Chaired for eight years the Task Force on International Legal Services, the American Bar Association where he was a Member of the House of Delegates and Chair of the Section of International Law and Practice, Young Lawyers Division, the Mexican Bar and the Inter-Pacific Bar Association where he has served as Vice Chair of the Immigration, Nationality and Employment Law Committee.Show more +