Mergers & Acquisitions in Singapore
180 Clemenceau Avenue Haw Par Centre #02-02,, Singapore, 239922
We are a multi-disciplinary law practice led by a team of experienced lawyers with varying specialist expertise, capable of handling complex modern-day legal disputes and corporate transactions.
More than just a provider of legal services, we see ourselves as our clients’ trusted partner as we navigate them through an increasingly challenging legal landscape brought on by ever-changing global economic and geo-political trends.
At QWP, we distinguish ourselves by staying ahead of the game and being a client-driven practice with a strong ethos for consistent delivery of practical and effective legal solutions.
Combined with the quality, breadth and depth of our legal expertise, we are able to serve and secure the trust of a broad range of client groups, including private high net-worth family offices, multi-national corporations, private equity funds and other institutional clients.
With offices in the key financial centres of Singapore and Hong Kong, our presence in North Asia and connectivity within ASEAN puts us in a unique position to support cross-border investment or business activities as part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative.
QWP has been successfully ranked in the Corporate/M&A category by various leading legal publications including Chambers Asia-Pacific (as a “Recognised Practitioner”), IFLR1000 (as a “Recommended Firm”) and Legal 500 Asia-Pacific.Show more +
Kenneth Leong is a Mergers & Acquisitions specialist with extensive experience in general corporate and commercial transactions.
His areas of specialisation include private equity-led buy-outs, general offers involving public listed companies in Singapore and vendor auction sale processes.
Kenneth has also been involved in a wide array of sophisticated local and cross-border private M&A transactions, ranging from joint ventures to asset/share acquisitions and disposals involving businesses in specialised sectors such as medical technology, education, retail/global logistics and food & beverage.
Apart from transactional expertise, Kenneth also advises several private-equity portfolio companies on general corporate matters, including corporate governance, compliance, regulatory and employment matters.
Significant deals in which Kenneth had been involved include acting for:
- Chip Eng Seng Corporation Ltd (listed on SGX-ST) in its acquisition of Raffles Campus (Malaysia) Pte. Ltd. which owns and operates an international school known as Excelsior International School for S$24.4 million in 2019;
- Chip Eng Seng Corporation Ltd (listed on SGX-ST) in its acquisition of a 38% equity interest in Amdon Consulting Pte Ltd for S$5.4 million in 2019;
- Ekuiti Nasional Berhad (“Ekuinas”), a government backed private equity fund in its acquisition of up to 40.36% of Exabytes Capital Group Sdn Bhd for RM40 million in 2019;
- Integra LifeSciences in the Singapore closing of its global asset acquisition of Johnson & Johnson’s Codman Neurosurgery business for US$1.05 billion in 2018;
- Accuron MedTech Group (a subsidiary of Temasek Holdings), STMicroelectronics and other vendors in the auction sale of Veredus Laboratories Pte Ltd to Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd in 2018 – in one of the largest biotech exits in Singapore;
- RRJ Capital-led consortium in a competitive bid to acquire Global Logistic Properties Limited in 2017 – the deal (valued by the final bidder at approx. S$16 billion) was the largest private equity buy-out of an Asian company by enterprise value;
- Founder David Low and Heliconia Capital (a subsidiary of Temasek Holdings) in their sale of Futuristic Store Fixtures Pte Ltd to V3 Group Limited (owned by Ron Sim, founder of OSIM Group) for approx. S$75 million in 2017;
- Skyworks Solutions Inc, in its acquisition of Panasonic Corporation’s remaining 34% interest in their high performance surface acoustic wave and temperature compensated devices joint venture business for US$76.5 million in 2016;
- Capital Vantage Pte Limited in its exit offer for all the shares of China Hongcheng Holdings Limited in connection with the directed delisting of China Hongcheng in 2016; and
- Platform Specialty Products Corporation (listed on NYSE) in its acquisition of OM Group Inc’s electronic chemicals and photomasks businesses from Apollo Global Management LLC for US$365 million in 2015.
MORE ABOUT KENNETH LEONG
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Ranked as “Leading Lawyer – Rising Star” for M&A (Singapore) in the 2019 and 2020 editions of IFLR1000
- Ranked as “Notable Practitioner” for Corporate M&A (Singapore) in 2020 edition of Asialaw Profile
- Described by Legal 500 Asia Pacific as “very proactive and has a broad perspective”, “an outstanding problem solver” and is “without doubt one of the best young M&A partners in Singapore”.
- Kenneth is a co-author of the Singapore Chapter in “Getting the Deal Through – Private Equity (Transactions) 2012”.