IP - Trademark & Copyright and IP - Patents and Tech-Media-Telecoms in Japan
2nd Akiyama Bldg. 5F 3-6-2 Toranomon Minato-ku,, Tokyo, 105-0001
Kuroda Law Offices is a full-service law firm,founded in 1995. Our focus is intellectual property litigation including Japanese and foreign patents, international business matters such as direct investment and finance projects, and mergers and acquisitions both domestic and abroad. We also have ample experience with areas such as investing in developing nations and growing markets, Internet businesses using digital contents, and sports marketing.
We have offices not only in Tokyo, but also in Shanghai and Taipei, and our affiliate, KLO Investment Consulting (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., is located in Shanghai, with branches in Guangzhou and Beijing, making it possible for us to offer comprehensive local, one-stop service.
Additionally, by making use of our extensive experience with Chinese legal affairs and collaborating with local law and patent offices in various countries, we are able to support businesses expanding into developing countries with underdeveloped legal systems.
At the same time, in the field of intellectual property rights, we have provided all manner of advice for the prevention of litigation and disputes and for the optimization of client profits, including methods for the effective use of copyrights, patent rights, trademarks and design rights, and on strategic planning for the design and development of new products so as not to infringe existing patent rights. We have also handled countless cases in relatively new fields, such as LEDs and digital content.
To accommodate the ever-changing needs of both client and market, we aim to provide the very best legal services to our clients using our expertise, flexibility, and organizational strengths, as well as our long-standing experience.Show more +
Representative Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law Admitted in Japan and New York
Registered with the Taipei Bar Association
- Minohara Law Office, 1986
- Masunaga, Nagashima and Hashimoto, 1986–1988
- Johnson Stokes and Master, Central District, Hong Kong, 1989
- Masunaga, Nagashima and Hashimoto, 1990–1995
- Kuroda Law Offices, Kuroda Patent Offices, 1995–Present
- Waseda University Faculty of Law, 1981–1982
- Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court, 1986
- Beijing Language School, Beijing, China, 1988
- Duke University School of Law Summer Program, Denmark, 1988
- Duke University School of Law (LL.M.), Durham, North Carolina, USA, 1989
- Fudan University Faculty of Law, Advanced Study Course, Shanghai, China, 1990
- Admitted in Japan; registered with Japan Federation of Bar Associations and Tokyo Bar Association, 1986
- Admitted to New York Bar, 1991
- Admitted to Japan Patent Attorneys Association, 1992
- Registered with the Taipei Bar Association, 2009
Appointments as Member of Government Councils, etc.
- Member of Industrial Structure Council, Ministry of International Trade and Industry (present Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), 1997–1999
- Member of Competition Policy Research Committee Concerning Information Property Distribution, Software Information Center, 2000–2001
- Instructor of Tohoku University Law School (part-time lecturer), 2009–Present
“Q&A on the Latest Practice Involving Chinese Business Law” (series) in International Legal Strategy, January 2000 to April/May 2004.
Digital Contents and Intellectual Property Rights (co-author). JMA Management Center Inc., 2001.
A Comprehensive Guide for Business in China, Latest Legislation and Practice. JMA Management Center Inc., 2002.
“Problems of Working Rules Concerning Electronic Commerce, etc. and Practical Countermeasures” (co-author) in Journal of the ITU Association of Japan, February 2003.
Digital Contents and Intellectual Property Rights (rev. ed.) (co-author). JMA Management Center Inc., 2004.
A Comprehensive Guide for Business in China, Latest Legislation and Practice: Revised and Updated Second Edition (co-author). JMA Management Center Inc., 2005.
“Introduction to Business Law Practice for Foreign Businesses Making Ventures in Indonesia” (series) in The Lawyers, January 2007 to January 2008.
A Comprehensive Guide to Doing Business in Indonesia (co-author). Canaria Shoboh, 2009.
The Realities of China, a Man-Governed State. Gentosha Media Consulting, 2011.
Q & A on Taiwanese Law. Canaria Shoboh, 2011.
A Guide to Investing in the Philippines. Canaria Communications, 2016.
Japanese, English and Chinese