Criminal Law in Hong Kong
7th Floor, Ruttonjee House,, 11 Duddell Street,, Hong Kong, Central,
Haldanes is a Hong Kong-based law firm experienced in serving the needs of clients, both locally and throughout the Asia-Pacific. Established in 1975, the partners have an extensive collective knowledge of legal practice in the region. We cover Civil Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Competition Law, Corporate & Commercial, Criminal Defence, Intellectual Property, Matrimonial & Family Law, Media & Entertainment, Private Client, Property & Conveyancing and Securities, Regulatory & Disciplinary Matters.
The firm has a strong reputation across all of its practice areas and its excellence has been acknowledged by various awards bodies. We consider one of our major strengths to be our flexible management structure. This gives each partner a high degree of autonomy when working with clients. It allows us to keep closely in touch with our clients and to identify specific needs and the means of achieving them.
The firm’s philosophy of reducing bureaucracy is also reflected in the efficiency with which we can respond to clients’ requirements and to be as cost effective as possible.
ASIAN LEGAL BUSINESS AWARDS 2018
- CRIMINAL LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR (WINNER
- CIVIL LITIGATION LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR (FINALIST)
- MATRIMONIAL & FAMILY LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR (FINALIST)
ASIAN LEGAL BUSINESS AWARDS 2017
- CRIMINAL LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR (WINNER)
Jonathan Midgley is a criminal defence lawyer and Senior Partner at Haldanes. Mr. Midgley has been consistently rated for several decades by independent legal journals as one of Hong Kong’s premier criminal defence lawyers. He is highly experienced with both white collar commercial crime cases and a very wide variety of other criminal charges. He is noted in Hong Kong for being the “go-to” lawyer when white collar professionals find themselves in need of an experienced criminal defence lawyer with a deep understanding of the Hong Kong system.
As a result of Mr. Midgley’s standing in the field of criminal defence in 2013, when Hong Kong introduced the concept of Solicitor Advocate for the first time, Mr. Midgley was immediately appointed to the criminal division. This permits him to appear in all criminal courts in Hong Kong with full rights as an advocate. He also has excellent and well established working relationships with leading barristers in Hong Kong and England, and a network of connections worldwide.
Jonathan is regularly listed in the Legal 500, Who’s Who, Chambers and Partners, Criminal Law Experts Directory and other legal dictionaries as a solicitor with extensive advocacy skills and a wealth of experience. While Jonathan has been based in Hong Kong since 1978, his practice is international.
Hong Kong (Solicitor Advocate)
England & Wales (Solicitor Advocate)
Notable Criminal Cases :
- R v AD – successfully defending the “first” commercial crime case, a complicated corporate dispute, after a long trial
- R v CH – Attorney General senior lawyer, accused of sex with underage girl
- R v DM – charged with murder, acquitted
- R v WM – charged with rape, acquitted
- R v DC – prominent property developer charged and case dropped on representations being made
- R v DB – representing champion jockey on race fixing plea
- HKSAR v EL – successfully representing a bank’s CEO on bribery charge
- HKSAR v NW – allegation of forged Will, case dismissed
- HKSAR v JF – forged RMB, passed of inHong Kong, acquitted
- HKSAR v SY – possession of Gun at airport, mitigation
What the legal directories say:
– from Who’s Who of the Law and Chambers and Partners :
- “A solicitor advocate with an acknowledged expertise in high-profile criminal matters. Interviewees find him to be an “extremely professional, very personable, hard-working and intelligent”
- “Pre-eminent in the field of criminal defence”
- “One of the most successful criminal lawyers in Hong Kong”
- “An outstanding criminal solicitor”
- “Reputed to be Hong Kong’s best criminal lawyer – Sometimes better than a barrister”
- “Known as a lawyer for expatriate white collar crime”
- “Good at putting teams together”
- “The first guy to call if the ICAC come knocking on your door…”
- “Defended first major commercial case inHong Kong in 1982”
- “Subsequently involved in the defence of many high profile commercial crime cases – representing many persons facing extradition in either from or to Hong Kong”
- “Listed and profiled in Euromoney Legal Group Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers, Asia Leading Lawyers 1997, AsiaLaw Profiles ’97″