We dedicate ourselves to helping our clients and our community. It’s that simple.
Essex Richards offers a 40-year history of serving our community, making us one of the oldest firms in the Charlotte area. Since our doors opened in 1976, our lawyers have provided an unwavering commitment to professional ethics, personal service, and delivering the highest level of legal advice to our clients. Our lawyers dedicate themselves to being more than legal counsel; we have built our firm around the idea that we are here to truly help the clients we represent, because our clients are people, not just cases.
While we offer knowledgeable representation in a number of legal areas, our main practice areas include Bankruptcy and Debtor/Creditor Relations, Business Law, Copyright and Trademark, ERISA and Long-Term Disability, Estate Planning and Administration, Family Law, Labor and Employment, Litigation, Media and First Amendment, Mergers and Acquisitions, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death, and Tax Planning.
In addition to focusing on their legal practices, our lawyers and staff follow the firm’s long tradition of giving back to the community in which they live and work. Whether through pro bono representation, charitable contributions, leadership roles, event sponsorship, or employee participation, Essex Richards supports initiatives that improve the quality of life in our community.Show more +
Jon's practice concentrates on wills, trusts and estates, estate and gift taxation, estate administration and corporate formation and governance.
Jon also devotes a considerable portion of his practice to general corporate matters including entity formation, organizing real estate ventures and advising emerging and other closely-held businesses.
- The Search for Clarity in the Accounting for Loan-Loss Reserves: Earnings Management vs. Safety and Soundness, North Carolina Banking Institute, Vol. 5, spring 2001.
- Business Law and Transactions
- Estates and Trusts
- Real Estate Law and Transactions
- Tax Law
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2002
- M.A., Accounting, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999
- B.S., Business Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1998
Associations & Admissions
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Estate Planning and Probate Section
Corporate Law in North Carolina
1701 South Blvd., Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28203