Commercial Litigation in Connecticut
977 Farmington Ave, Suite 200, West Hartford, Hartford, 06107
Gfeller Laurie LLP is a law firm founded on the principle of doing things differently and better. The firm’s mission is uncomplicated – to provide “AmLaw 100” quality legal services with a more efficient and agile business model. In contrast to the traditional law firm model, focused on the billable hour and staffing matters based on a hierarchical “pyramid,” the firm’s focus is on obtaining results for our clients in the most efficient way possible and providing excellent client service along the way.
The firm is comprised of experienced and tenacious litigators from some of the largest international law firms. Gfeller Laurie LLP represents clients in complex litigation spanning a variety of business markets and jurisdictions, both nationally and internationally. We also advise clients on various aspects of their respective businesses.Show more +
Gerald (“Jerry”) Garlick joined the firm in 2017 when he and his law partner Linda Hadley brought everyone from their firm to join Gfeller Laurie, LLP. Jerry’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, including the representation of banks, title insurance companies and their insureds, corporations, and individuals. In any litigation matter, Jerry’s first step is to understand the client’s goals and to fashion a realistic and cost-effective plan to obtain a favourable result, whether by litigating or seeking an amicable resolution.
In addition to his litigation experience, Jerry also has extensive experience in all aspects of real estate, including representing lenders, borrowers, sellers, and purchasers. He has been a panellist at various seminars covering topics such as lender liability, title insurance issues, litigation theories and tactics, and real property issues.
Jerry is active in his community, including past positions as a member of the Board of Directors of the Farmington Valley YMCA, the Board of Directors of Hartford Proud & Beautiful (a division of the Greater Hartford Arts Council), the advisory board for the Roaring Brook Nature Center and the Town of Simsbury Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee. Jerry has spent many years as a volunteer travel soccer coach for the Simsbury Soccer Club, for which he was recognized in 2003 as National Coach of the Year by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.
- Successfully represented a developer in a Supreme Court case involving the developer’s right to further develop a condominium project, in a case of the first impression under the Connecticut Common Interest Ownership Act.
- Successfully represented a lender and the lender’s loan officer in defence of a lender liability claim.
- Has successfully represented various insured parties in title insurance claims regarding boundary line disputes, adverse possession claims, mortgage priority claims, and mortgage reformation claims.
- Super Lawyers® Business Edition 2012 (Real Estate)
- Best Lawyers in America® 2019 (Real Estate)
- Connecticut Bar Association; Member; House of Delegates; Member Real Property Section and Litigation Section
- Hartford County Bar Association; Member; Co-chair — Scholarship Committee
- Real Estate Finance Association
- Simsbury Soccer Club, past-president and board member, and volunteer coach
- “An Advanced Look at Connecticut Real Estate Law,” National Business Institute.
- “Litigating Disputes over Easements and Restrictive Covenants,” National Business Institute.
- “Lender Liability Litigation,” Connecticut Mortgage Banker’s Association.
- “Essentials of Depositions,” Connecticut Bar Association.
- “Asset Forfeiture Litigation,” Connecticut Mortgage Banker’s Association.