Banking & Finance in Switzerland
Stockerstrasse 44, Zürich, CH-8002
Balthasar Wicki and the experts of Wicki Attorneys-at-Law offer entrepreneurs and companies their extensive knowledge and experience for a new way to access company law during phases of growth, conflicts and change.
The experts at Wicki Partners Attorneys-at-Law have a great deal of expertise in business management, are available to support and advise, and adopt an approach based on our wealth of practical experience. The preservation of entrepreneurial freedom, a long-term perspective and the creation of robust solutions are our guiding principles in consulting and crisis management. This practical, understated and in-depth approach offers entrepreneurs, executives and companies the security they require during the turmoil and changes caused by rapid growth and times of crisis.
We assist and support national and international companies with any issues they may have on corporate development, transactions (M&A), contract negotiations, company restructuring measures and succession planning. As mediators, we can also offer support in crisis situations, such as internal conflicts or liquidity problems, with our knowledge and experience.Show more +
- Over 15 years of professional experience as a senior legal counsel with a focus on international, commercial, and financial market law. Advises and represents banks and other financial institutions on regulatory issues, including capital and liquidity regulation and bank insolvency laws, as well as Fintechs.
- Served as chief legal counsel for Swiss National Bank (SNB) and head of SNB’s shared services group before joining a private practice. Member of Board of Directors of listed industry and consumer goods group (Orell Füssli Holding AG) and financial services group (StabFund Kommanditgesellschaft für kollektive Kapitalanlagen).
- Served in numerous committees of international organizations, including as chairman of working groups and conferences preparing international law instruments (Geneva Securities Convention, Swiss Federal Intermediated Securities Act).
- Over ten years of experience as a university lecturer with a focus on secured transactions, securities regulations, financial market and central bank and monetary law. Author of numerous books and articles.
since 2014 Attorney-at-law in Zurich/Zulauf Partners
2001-2014 Swiss National Bank, Zürich
2007-2013 General Counsel / Head Legal and Corporate Services (HR, Building & Logistics and Pension Fund)
2007-2014 Member/Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Orell Füessli Holding AG, Zurich (banknote-printer, book-seller, mechanical engineering, listed at SWX Stock Exchange)
2008-2013 Member of Board of Directors of StabFund KgK (UBS bad bank)
2001-2007 Head Legal Services
1995-2001 Swiss Federal Office of Justice, Section for Private International Law and International Civil Procedure Law, Berne
1980-1992 Journalist/editor for news agencies (SDA, Associated Press) and newspapers (Bieler Tagblatt, Tages-Anzeiger, NZZ)
since 2015 International Chamber of Commerce, Banking Commission Legal Committee (Member)
2010-2013 International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) Committee of Governmental Experts for the preparation of Draft Principles on the Operation of Close-out Netting Provisions (Delegate for Switzerland)
2010-2011 Financial Stability Board (FSB), Bail-in Working Group (Member)
2008-2011 Basle Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS), Cross-border bank resolution group (Member)
2005-2009 UNIDROIT, Diplomatic Conference/Committee of Governmental Experts for Convention on Substantive Rules Regarding Intermediated Securities (Chairman)
2003-2004 Expert Committee for the preparation of the Federal Intermediated Securities Act and the Ratification of the Hague Securities Convention (Chairman)
2002-2003 Group of Ten, Working Group on Contractual clauses in sovereign bond contracts (Member)
2000-2002 Hague Conference on Private International Law, Hague Securities Convention (Head of Swiss Delegation)
1995-2000 UN-Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), UN-Receivables Convention (Delegate for Switzerland)
since 2013 University of Zurich, LL.M. International Banking and Finance Law (Central Bank and Monetary Law, Lecturer)
since 2003 University of Lucerne, School of Law (Lecturer)
since 2016 International Financial and Monetary Law
2003-2014 Secured Transactions and Securities Law
20 Mai 2000 Master of Law LL.M. (with distinction), Tulane University School of Law, New Orleans, USA.
20 July 1998 Doctor iuris (summa cum laude) with a thesis on international and comparative succession law (received Professor Walther Hug award 1999 as best thesis in its field)
17 October 1995 Bar exam and admission to the Bar of Zurich
26. Mai 1993 Licentiatus iuris (magna cum laude)
1988-1993 University of Zurich School of Law
1985-1988 Matura, AKAD ZurichShow more +