Environmental Law in California
2120 University Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704
Environmental General Counsel is an environmental boutique law firm based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have decades of experience with all aspects of environmental law, including compliance, enforcement, cleanups, complex litigation, natural resources, risk allocation in loans and acquisitions -- with special expertise in sophisticated transactions, Proposition 65, pollution legal liability policies, vapor intrusion, asbestos-containing materials, Environmental Health & Safety programs, environmental claims in bankruptcy, and development projects.
EGC attorneys are veteran environmental practitioners. Our attorneys have practiced with some of the leading environmental departments and law firms in the country, including Paul Hastings, Holland & Knight, Beveridge & Diamond, Pillsbury Winthrop, Jeffers Mangel Butler & Mitchell, Barg Coffin, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, and Hanson Bridgett. One of our partners has served as counsel for environmental regulatory agencies, including the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board and the California Coastal Commission.
EGC represents a wide range of industries, including real estate (single-family homebuilders, multi-family residential owners, developers, commercial property owners), consumer products, fashion and accessories, personal care industry, social media, pet food, chemical manufacturing and distribution, industrial manufacturing, food processing, high tech, maritime and transportation industry, and recycling.
Our clients include Fortune 500 and S&P 500 companies, national and international privately held companies, publicly traded companies, public agencies, family businesses, trusts, and individuals.
We are engaged and active in our field as frequent speakers and writers and we contribute to the environmental legal community as leaders of local and state bar associations. Two of our partners are former Chairs of the California Bar's Environmental Section; two of our partners are former chairs of the San Francisco Bar's Environmental Section – and one of our partners serves as the current Chair of the Section. We are also active on the Executive Committee of the County of Alameda's Environmental Bar. Our collective experience now stands at almost 200 years.Show more +
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley Law
- Dee Dee specializes in environmental matters involving water quality. As an attorney for the State Water Resources Control Board she served as co-counsel to the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board for over ten years. She advised Board members, management and staff on legal issues related to all aspects of the Board’s work.
- Through her work with the Water Board, Dee Dee gained extensive permitting and enforcement experience related to cleanup of contaminated properties and water bodies. She represented Board staff in negotiating one of the first agreements signed under the California Land Reuse and Revitalization Act (CLRRA) which provided liability protection to a developer of contaminated property. Dee Dee frequently counseled Board staff about surface water permitting and enforcement matters such as discharges to water bodies, storm sewers, wetlands and other habitat areas.
- Dee Dee previously worked at the California Coastal Commission for fourteen years where she served as the Deputy Chief Counsel. She counseled Commissioners and staff about a wide range of development proposals including offshore and onshore energy development projects. As part of that work Dee Dee gained significant experience with California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requirements for environmental analyses and conditions of approval.
- Dee Dee chaired the State Bar of California’s Environmental Law Section and served as co-chair of two of the Section’s annual Environmental Law Conferences at Yosemite. Dee Dee currently serves as an advisor to the California Lawyers Association Environmental Law Section.
- She served as Chair of the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Environmental Law Section. Dee Dee currently serves as a member of the Section's Executive Committee and has chaired its Continuing Legal Education Subcommittee.
- Dee Dee has taught Administrative Law at the Santa Clara University School of Law with a particular emphasis on the practical problems facing attorneys who practice before governmental agencies. She has also served as a Tech Awards Panel Judge for the Santa Clara University Center for Science, Technology and Society. In that role she reviewed applications submitted by NGOs and companies for international awards for environmental innovation.