Real Estate in Michigan
1700 W. Big Beaver Road Suite 350, Troy, 48084
Friedlaender Nykanen & Rogowski PLC provides specialized experience in commercial and real property litigation and transactions, including: zoning, tax appeals, eminent domain, purchase and sales, and commercial leasing issues. The attorneys have brought their large firm experience to a more specialized and efficient practice focusing on areas of real estate law and litigation in which they have significant experience and a history of success.
While the firm represents many clients in real estate law and litigation matters, we recognize that each matter is the most important and only matter for the client. Therefore, we are committed to consistent and immediate communication with our clients. It is a principle our clients have grown to expect and one the firm demands of itself. We have found that a client that is informed and engaged is not only more satisfied but often leads to successful results.
The firm’s attorneys have represented companies (ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 in size) and individuals on a variety of complex matters in the firm’s particular areas of expertise in real estate law and litigaton. This focus on areas in which the attorneys have developed extensive knowledge provides the efficiencies our clients demand and the results they expect.Show more +
Attorney David Nykanen provides exceptional skills and vigorous advocacy on behalf of his clients. His representation is backed by over 20 years of experience in the real estate law field, representing the owners of hundreds of properties. His experience and results have been recognized by his peers. Dave is a past Chairperson of the Real Property Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, he is a frequent speaker before legal and trade groups. Dave has written numerous articles about property tax issues. As a result of Mr. Nykanen’s experience, results, and legal writing, he has been recognized by his peers as a SuperLawyer, one of the Best Lawyers in America, and as a Top Lawyer by dBusiness. Dave is also a licensed title insurance producer, and one of the owners of Midwest Title, a Michigan title insurance agency.
Dave is a lifelong resident of Michigan, and resides in Farmington Hills with his wife and two children.
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1995
- Managing Editor, Wayne Law Review
- Oakland University, B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, 1992
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top Lawyer
State Bar of Michigan
- Real Estate Property Law Section
- Former Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Council Member
- Former Chair, CLE Committee
- Former Chair, State and Local Taxation Committee
- Founding Director, Real Property Law Academy
Oakland County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Real Estate Law Committee
- Former Member, Legislative Committee
- Member, Political Science Advisory Board.
- Former Chairperson, Honors College Alumni Advisory Board
FFYS Boosters, Inc.
- Co-Founder and past President. The fundraising arm of the Farmington Family YMCA Stingrays swim team
Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow
Publications & Presentations
- Property Transfer Tax and Uncapping, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, June 2017.
- Uncapping in Property Transfers, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, November 2011
- Appraisals and Attorneys, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Summer Conference, July 2011
- Property Tax Appeals, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Summer Conference, July 2010
- Property Tax Appeals of Apartments, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Breakfast Groundbreakers, 2010
- ABCs of Property Tax Appeals, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2010
- ABCs of Appraisals, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2010
- The Danger of the Unintended Uncapping: Issues in Estate Planning and Financing Transactions, Michigan Real Property Review (2009)
- Transfers After Proposal A: The Cap on Taxable Value, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, May 2007
- Avoiding Property Tax Traps in Your Practice, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, October 2006.
- Zoning and Land Use in Michigan, Lorman Education Services, January 2006
- David E. Nykanen and Jason C. Long, Real Property, Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Wayne Law Review (2006)
- Real Estate Due Diligence Part I: Title and Survey Issues, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section, Homeward Bound Seminars, December 2005
- From Grand Plan to Grand Opening: Emerging Issues in Land Development and Zoning in Michigan. Lorman Education Services, November 2005.
- The Mechanics of Commercial Development from Start to Finish: Part 2, Post-Purchase: Financing, Construction and Leasing Issues, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Homeward Bound Seminars, December 2002.
- Proposal A of 1994 and Agricultural Property: Farmer, Developer and Title Company Beware, Michigan Real Property Review, Fall 2002
- Transfers After Proposal A: Loss of the Cap on Taxable Value, Oakland County Bar Association Essential Commercial Real Estate, April 2002.
- Farm Aid: Tax Benefits for Agricultural Property, Laches (2002)
- Transfers After Proposal A: Loss of the Cap on Taxable Value, State Bar of Michigan Annual Meeting, September 2001.
- Proposal A of 1994 and Leases: Owner, Tenant and Buyer Beware, Michigan Real Property Review, 2001
- Business Associations, Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Wayne Law Review (1999)
- Business Associations, Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Wayne Law Review (1998)
- Business Associations, Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Wayne Law Review (1997)
- Administrative Law, Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Wayne Law Review (1996)