Insurance Law in England
1 Cornhill, London, EC3V 3ND
gunnercooke is a full service corporate and commercial law firm, that operates in a different way. Our firm was created to allow lawyers to play to their strengths and focus their priorities on what they are good at and what they enjoy. As a firm, we are ambitious and strive to create an environment and infrastructure that allows our lawyers the freedom to provide and maintain a first class service to our clients. We always seek to be innovative so long as it benefits our clients and our lawyers.
What we do not have is the overwhelming baggage of some law firms – we are not weighed down by time sheets or targets of any kind internally, as each lawyer’s relationship with gunnercooke is that of an independent partner working within the structure that our firm provides – and consequently our lawyers’ first and last priority is serving our clients’ best interests.
We comprise solely senior lawyers. At present, we are 100 partners, operating nationally and internationally via offices in London and Manchester. Every senior lawyer in our firm has a minimum 10,000 hours’ experience in practice.
95% of our senior lawyers have spent time in-house or in business. We are seasoned negotiators, clear communicators and true business advisors. We understand the impact of our legal advice in the wider commercial context and the importance of project management, strategy, timeliness and momentum.
We operate via fixed fees. We provide certainty and transparency over the cost of our services, agreeing scopes of work and providing fixed fee quotes that will never change. This enables us to work closely with our clients to manage their legal budget and to ensure that our objective is entirely aligned with efficiency and performance to our clients’ deadlines. It has a significant impact upon the way we work: we realise that it is in neither our own nor our client’s interest to prolong a matter, or overcomplicate our advice. We do not have the same, expensive cost base of traditional law firms which means our rates are highly competitive.
To find out more about how we work with our clients, please visit our website:Show more +
"His long history of working in the market means he's got a great sense of the commercial elements involved as well as the legal issues and practicalities." "He's very client-oriented and very easy to work with." Chambers Global
“David Breslin is outstanding” – Legal 500
David specialises in commercial dispute resolution and international arbitration. He has been recognised for his expertise for many years in the UK legal directories, including as a Leading Individual in the field of insurance and reinsurance in Chambers UK and Chambers Global Directories.
David acts for clients across a number of business sectors including for insurers and reinsurers, brokers, financial services policy holders, marine and energy interests, international trade and shipping, international infrastructure and defence companies and sovereign state bodies in international arbitration claims.
He has conducted numerous arbitrations both ad hoc and under common institutional rules (including UNCITRAL, ICSID, ICC, LCIA and ARIAS). He has represented sovereign state bodies in investor-state arbitration under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties (including under the Energy Charter Treaty).
He is a recognised specialist in insurance and reinsurance dispute resolution (including Bermuda Form arbitration) with particular expertise in financial risks insurance, including professional liability, D&O and conventional fraud insurance products, cyber-risks, trust company and trustees’ liability, trade credit and political risk insurance, and marine and non-marine reinsurance coverage disputes.
David is recommended in the leading UK legal directories including Legal 500, Chambers UK Directory, Best Lawyers (UK) and Euromoney’s Expert Guides on the World’s Leading Lawyers.
- Representing Albanian Republic in Investor-state treaty ICSID arbitration under the multi-lateral Energy Charter Treaty in defence of $400m claims arising from waste-to-energy conventional power plant project under a BOT concession contract.
- Representing Albanian Republic in defence of $1billion claims in ICSID arbitration from investors under Italian/Albanian BIT relating allegations of expropriation of a television station and a failed construction and development of a hydroelectric power plant.
- Representing major South Korean contractors in ICC arbitration (Omani Seat, English law) in respect of claims arising from the construction of a water treatment plant.
- Representing Albanian Republic in defence of $120m claims in ICC arbitration (Paris seat) arising from alleged breaches of a concession contract for the construction of a of a hydroelectric power plant.
- Representing Bermuda-based insurers in Bermuda form arbitration proceedings (London seat, New York law) for claims arising under excess professional liability insurance
- Representing US/Bermudan marine reinsurer is respect of ad hoc arbitration proceedings (Oslo seat) for claims arising from Hurricane IRMA
- Representing Italian construction company is ICC arbitration (London seat) in respect of $30m dispute arising from major infrastructure project in South East Europe
- Advising Ukranian state interests in international arbitration under ICC Rules (Swiss seat) against contracting parties in respect a $50m dispute regarding energy sale and purchase contracts.
- Advising Canadian mining interests in respect of the arbitration of infrastructure construction claims subject to ICC arbitration rules (seat Canada).
Insurance, Reinsurance and Financial Services
- Advising UK Bank on insurance claims recovery under Fraud and Professional Liability policy arising from losses following allegations of internal fraud
- Advising UK Bank on insurance claims recovery under Professional Liability insurance policy for liabilities arising from s.75 CCA claims
- Advising commercial insurance policyholders in financial services, leisure and entertainment industries in respect of coverage for business interruption claims arising from Covid 19.
- Advising in respect of D&O and E&O policy coverage issues, in particular relating to fund management liability programmes, trustee liability programmes, multinational multimedia liability programme, investment advisers and financial institutions package insurance
- Representing Korea Development Bank in proceedings in London relating to performance bonds under the ICC URDG rules – Technicas Reunidas Saudi v Korea Development Bank  EWHC 968 (TCC)
- Advising Bermuda reinsurance company in respect of Covid 19 exclusions and issues concerning non-renewal of treaty reinsurance
- Advising publicly-quoted European IT Group on cyber and professional liability insurance losses arising from the cancellation of a major IT travel project.
- Advising a US insurance group in arbitration in respect of English law disputes arising from marine and energy excess of loss reinsurance protections for losses sustained following Hurricane Irma.
- Advising offshore Trust Management companies in respect of insurance claims for losses arising from allegations of mismanagement of trust funds.
- Advising US and Bermuda excess professional liability insurers in international arbitration proceedings in Bermuda (UNCITRAL) in respect of claims from a US financial institution arising from US class actions.
- Advising Bermudan marine and energy reinsurers on losses arising from the Macondo oil spill (“Deepwater Horizon”) and from the total loss of the Costa Concordia in respect of London JELC arbitration disputes under Industry Loss Warranty products provided by hedge fund capital market transactions.
Previous Law Firms
- Fladgate LLP, Partner
- Gowling WLG UK, Partner
- Lawrence Graham LLP, Partner
- Baker McKenzie, Solicitor
- Norton Rose, Solicitor
- Member Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Member ICCA (International Council for Commercial Arbitration)
- British Insurance Lawyers Association (BILA)
- Law Society of England & Wales
- College of Law, London
- University of Manchester, BA(Hons) History