Mergers & Acquisitions in Mexico
Paseo de las Palmas 525 Piso 6, Col. Lomas de Chapultepec, Mexico City, 11000
In 1996 Jorge Sánchez Devanny founded our law firm in Mexico City. Three years later José Ángel Eseverri Ahuja came on board and in 2001, Robert W. Chandler opened our office in Monterrey. In 2014 Sánchez Devanny Querétaro became our third office in the country.
This is one way to tell our story. The other is to simply say that, from the firm’s first day, all of us at Sánchez Devanny are moved by the same passion: to do things as they have never been done before.
We are convinced that professionalism, prestige, and experience must come together with creativity, originality and innovation.
It is all about setting the pace, about leading instead of following.
In Sánchez Devanny distinction is our signature.
We know that it is not enough to have the most capable attorneys. In addition to outstanding talents, we must share the same attitude. To be and to do is one and the same Sánchez Devanny.
There are many talents in our ﬁrm, and all are committed to providing quality service and immediate response. This has been key to our growth both in numbers of clients and of attorneys seeking to make a difference.Show more +
• Corporate and M & A
Practice Area(s) Leader
• Corporate and M & A
• Law Degree, Universidad Iberoamericana A.C., México City (2003).
• Bachelor of Arts, Humanistic Studies, Saint Mary’s College, South Bend, Indiana, U.S.A. (1989).
Cristina has 26 years of experience providing service to clients. She has 17 years of experience in the legal industry, with a focus on corporate transactional practice.
Cristina provides legal guidance and advice to foreigners entering Mexico to do business as well as assistance to clients that already have Mexican operations that they wish to expand. She also helps clients coordinate their operations with other jurisdictions and provides day-to day legal advice.
She strives to understand the needs of each foreign client and advises on practical legal solutions to meet those needs and resolve their legal issues. She provides legal advice in the establishment and legal implementation of business strategies by coordinating different areas of law, such as tax, labor and foreign trade, to offer a complete solution that can be implemented to meet the client’s needs as a whole. She also provides legal advice on day-to-day operations, from contract review to restructuring operations.
In antitrust matters, she has advised companies in merger control filings, as well as cartel investigations, and whistle blower policy. She has also advised clients on internal pricing policies, information sharing, relationships with distributors and competitors, and other issues.
• Advised a US auto-part manufacturer of body stamping in the establishment of a manufacturing plant in the State of Guanajuato. Counsel included tax planning, business structuring, negotiating incentives with the State Government, acquiring land, labor and customs and foreign trade matters.
• Advised a US auto-part manufacturer of plastic molding and die-casting in the establishment of a manufacturing plant in the State of Guanajuato. Counsel included business structure, and incorporation of Mexican company.
• Provided full-service representation for a US based brake manufacturer with operations in Coahuila and Mexico City. • Our representation covers business structure, contractual, corporate, tax planning, foreign trade and labor.
• Represented a Multinational chemical company in its corporate restructuring process. Our representation covers business structure, contractual, corporate, tax planning, foreign trade and labor.
• Represented a Japanese auto-part manufacturing company in the establishment of a plant to manufacture shock absorbers in Guanajuato, in their day-to-day operations and in their Latin-American operations restructuring. • Our representation covered business structure, contractual, corporate, tax planning, foreign trade and labor.
• Represented a US water treatment company in the process of shutting down Mexican operations. The advice provided includes preparation of all the documentation to dissolve and liquidate the operation, coordination of the liquidator and his activities required to shut down operations; coordination of third parties in the transfer of water and environmental concessions and permits. Coordination of legal advice provided on tax and labor.
• Advised a US animal feed flavoring company on establishing operations in Mexico through a joint venture with two Mexican companies, including participation in negotiations with the parties involved in transferring port rights and authorization to the newly incorporated subsidiary, as well as coordinating tax and customs advice and setting up guaranties to protect the client’s interests.
• Advised a multinational company on acquiring interest in a Mexican shipping and petroleum company, including the coordination of tax and intellectual property issues. The advice provided included buyer assistance during the due diligence process and review and/or preparation of local transfer agreements, closing deliveries, and actions and documents associated with the transfer of know-how, patents and trademarks.
• Advised a multinational company on a joint venture to render security services to the Mexican Government. The advice provided included drafting and negotiating corporate documents to support the deal, incorporating Mexican subsidiaries for the deal, government procurement opinions, and opinions on how to back out of the joint venture and opinions on how to shut down Mexican operations.
• Advised a multinational Japanese company on their contractual relationships with distributors, relating to antitrust policy compliance.
Advised multiple companies on merger control notifications before the Mexican antitrust authorities.
• Advised multiple companies on antitrust legislation relating to monopolistic practices, reviewing their policies and contracts for legal compliance.
Publications and Presentations
• Co-author of “Doing Business – Starting a Business – Mexico,” World Bank
• Co-author of the “Digest of Commercial Laws of the World” (Chapter about Mexico), Oceana Publishing
• Co-author of “Getting the Deal Through - Corporate Governance 2010 – 2012,” Law Business Research Ltd.
• Co-author of “Remedies for International Sellers of Goods,” Center for International Legal Studies
• Co-author of “International Tax and Investment Services,” Center for International Legal Studies
• American Chamber of Mexico A.C.
• State Capital Group
Our International Mergers & Acquisitions group has member firms in 100+ jurisdictions around the world. Each member is carefully vetted on their firm's expertise and experience. M&A group members are not just content in being part of the industry, rather they lead it through innovation. Above all else, as a member our cross-border M&A network, they are proud to hold the highest ethical standards.
We offer a full global service offering from deal initiation to completion. Members include corporate finance advisory firms, investors, lawyers, due diligence and transaction support advisers.