Aviation Law in New York
7 Times Square, 10036, New York, New York
Condon & Forsyth LLP is widely recognized as the leading specialist law firm in the United States in the area of aviation and aerospace law. While best known for our unparalleled expertise in commercial airline accident investigations and litigation, our attorneys are uniquely qualified and experienced in every aspect of aviation and aerospace law, including product liability, mass disaster and emergency response, aircraft finance, commercial transactions, class actions, and regulatory issues. Our goal is to ensure that our aviation and aerospace clients and their insurers obtain the best financial and legal results considering the unique circumstances of each case.
We have successfully handled virtually every conceivable legal issue for airlines, manufacturers and their insurers, including wrongful death, personal injury, property damage and cargo claims, as well as delay, denied boarding, sexual assault and discrimination claims. Our attorneys have litigated at the trial level and on appeal many of the landmark legal precedents in aviation law, particularly relating to the Warsaw and Montreal Conventions.
We have represented clients in many major commercial airline disaster litigations and their attendant government investigations. Many of our attorneys have aviation industry experience or are former or current military and commercial pilots, and regularly represent clients during accident investigations conducted by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). We also assist our airline clients in the development and implementation of air carrier family assistance plans that ensure that airline personnel respond appropriately in the event of an accident.
The firm has handled, on a recurring basis, such tasks for its aviation and aerospace clients as:
- Providing advice about, and preparing contract documentation for, aircraft and equipment purchases, leases and financing;
- Representing aviation and aerospace entities in DOT and FAA enforcement proceedings for hazardous material violations, Federal Aviation Regulation violations, passenger complaints and alleged violations of cargo shipping sanctions to certain countries;
- Advising clients on International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) issues;
- Assuring compliance with U.S. employment laws affecting foreign and locally engaged staff, including issues of wrongful termination and discrimination;
- Obtaining licenses (foreign air carrier permits, renewals, operating exemptions);
- Preparing airlines and foreign governments for bilateral discussions on such issues as fifth freedom rights, third country code sharing and open skies;
- Advising airlines on the antitrust aspects of code sharing, alliances and other airline cooperative agreements and the need for antitrust immunity;
- Assisting airlines in obtaining or trading High-Density Airport Landing Slots;
- Obtaining charter authority and operational authorizations for blocked space arrangements, codeshares and wet leases;
- Handling U.S. customs and immigration problems relating to passengers and cargo and representing clients in front of the U.S. Customs and Border Protections and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agencies;
- Representing clients before airport authorities in regard to leases of airport premises, gates, user fees and other operational issues;
- Advising airlines on DOT advertising rules and standards;
- Assisting airlines on tariff and noise regulation requirements;
- Preparing comments on proposed regulatory measures impacting our aviation and aerospace clients;
- Preparing and reviewing U.S. aircraft registrations, lien recordings at the FAA in Oklahoma City and U.C.C. filings in Washington, D.C.; and
- Preparing and reviewing contracts with travel agents and wholesalers, charter contracts, freight-forwarder contracts, maintenance and spare parts contracts and passenger and cargo handler contracts.
Our attorneys also author The Liability Reporter, published annually under the auspices of the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) and are instructors at the IATA Aviation Training and Development Institute. Due to their exceptional experience in the aviation and aerospace sector, our attorneys are also frequent lecturers at various legal and industry conferences throughout the world.
Show more +
Anthony represents air carriers, manufacturers and other aviation related entities in complex aviation litigation arising from consumer and commercial transactions. His recent work includes the defense of carriers such as Lufthansa, United Airlines and Iberia in consumer class actions where the claims exceeded $100M with victories at both the summary judgment and class certification stages in federal district and appellate courts throughout the United States. His clients also include industry leaders such as British Airways, LAN Airlines, Air Lease Corporation and Southwest Airlines Pilots Association. He has dozens of reported aviation decisions to his credit and has more than a decade of industry knowledge having served as an Area Director for one of the world’s largest air carriers.
Anthony is a frequent author and speaker on aviation business and legal issues. He also remains actively involved in the Kennedy Airport community and other airport communities throughout the United States. He is a recipient of the distinguished Presidential Award by the Association of Transportation Law Professionals for his service to the field of aviation. Anthony has been honorably selected as a New York Super Lawyer in the field of Aviation Law and recognized by the editors of The Legal 500, Aviation Expert Guides, Who’s Who Legal: Transport and The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers where he was recognized for his “astounding technical knowledge.”
With invaluable industry experience in representing his clients, some of Anthony’s recent work includes:
• Leading the trial team exonerating a premier European carrier in a multi million dollar jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Miami arising from severe turbulence onboard an international flight.
• Leading the trial team representing a renowned commercial aircraft leasing company at a bench trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California to recover $28 million lost in connection with failed leases for multiple B737-800 aircraft.
• Successfully defending foreign and domestic air carriers in multiple consumer class actions arising from the application of European Union regulations for compensation and assistance to U.S. passengers in the event of denied boarding, cancellation or long flight delays.
• Securing a favorable settlement on behalf of a European air carrier in a dispute with a major airframe manufacturer for late delivery of a fleet of new generation wide body aircraft.
• Representing one of the world’s largest international air carriers in class action litigation arising from mass transportation disruptions involving a putative class of more than 30,000 passengers and achieving a favorable resolution within one year of appointment as counsel.
• Successfully negotiated acquisition of fleet of long-haul new generation commercial aircraft for one of Europe’s largest international air carriers.
• Litigating a commercial dispute on behalf of the largest Asian international air carrier and achieving a favorable jury verdict after a two-week trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.